Thread: Modine hot dawg heater

Modine hot dawg heater

Anyone have an opinion of these? I am switching from electric to Gas heat. I definitely will go the separated combustion route. Other options? Looking at about $1300 for 75k btu & venting.

I've had one for 6 years. Haven't had to do a thing to it other than adjust the thermostat. I keep the shop at 45 during the winter when I'm not there and kick it up to 64 when I work in the shop.

Mine is conventional, does not have sealed combustion. Hasn't been a problem.
    Wood'N'Scout

Ditto on Steve's comment. I have had mine for 9 years. I love it, heats up fast. I leave it at 50 when away. I use portable propane for my detached shop, so I installed a programmable thermostat so that I could not accidentally leave it on. My shop is well insulated so my cost is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kohn View Post
    I've had one for 6 years. Haven't had to do a thing to it other than adjust the thermostat. I keep the shop at 45 during the winter when I'm not there and kick it up to 64 when I work in the shop.

Mine is conventional, does not have sealed combustion. Hasn't been a problem.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Ditto, but mine will be 8 years old in about 2 months. Was propane until I had it converted to natural gas last year. I installed it and did the initial conversion, HVAC contractor converted it back since they were here running the line and converting/replacing everything else.

Back in '01, I had a Hot Dawg installed in the new shop. It runs on propane as there is NG here. I had the largest unit as the HVAC dealer gave me a good price break since it was sitting in the shop backroom for awhile. Also had a low temperature thermostat installed.

Usually keep it at 45-50 degrees when not out there, and set it to about 68-70 when working. My shop is very well insulated and it does not take much time to reach a comfortable temperature level.

Before installation, on a dark no moon night, I turned on all of the shop lights. Then I went outside, letting my eyes adjust to the darkness. Next, I went around the building looking for light leaks. I later plugged these to keep out the cold air.

I think you will be satisfied with the Hot Dawg.

I am on my second Hot Dawg in as many shops in the past 10 years. I have always been very happy with the performance, no problems with either unit I have had.

I ordered a separate combustion 60,000 btu Hot Dawg last week. I hope to have it up and running in another two weeks or so. I don't know why I procrastinated so on this.
    Last edited by Charlie MacGregor; 11-19-2011 at 5:17 PM. Reason: bad spelling

Wow, a unanimous decision on this forum!! This has to be a first. I'll be ordering first thing Monday AM. Thanks for all the endorsements!

Joe,

I do recommend the HDS series as superior in a WW shop to the HD series, as the HDS draws its combustion air from outside rather than from the woodshop.

The small plus is that it's more energy efficient but the larger plus is that you don't have the airborne sawdust being sucked into your heater's combustion chamber. Yes it'll burn but may leave some ash.

Just my $0.02..

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Joe, we can't have a unanimous decision so I will chime in. I have a 75K Hot Dawg and have had it for around 5 years. It has served me well. It does not have the out side air source but I can live with that. My problem with mine is the foil that surrounds the heating tubes seems to have gotten hot and chunks of it is blowing all over my shop. I had it inspected by a HVAC guy and he contacted Modine but there was never an answer as to why it was happening. Other than my fear that the unit may be overheating and causing the foil issue I have been very happy with the unit. If I buy another one it will have the outside source of air for combustion because my air in the shop has a weird smell to it if I haven't opened up the shop for a few days.
    David B

11. Joe, I offer another brand for you to consider. I started thinking the hotdog as I had good luck with it in the past. But my HVAC guy steared me to a Reznor 60k btu sealed combustion. (shop is 450sf Minnesota winter). The sealed combustion is about a $350 option over regular. If you are going through with a sealed combustion unit they recomend a concentric kit for venting. So factor that added cost into you venting. I think it was around $125.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Joe,

I do recommend the HDS series as superior in a WW shop to the HD series, as the HDS draws its combustion air from outside rather than from the woodshop.

The small plus is that it's more energy efficient but the larger plus is that you don't have the airborne sawdust being sucked into your heater's combustion chamber. Yes it'll burn but may leave some ash.

Just my $0.02..

Jim
    Jim, what's the HDS series? The Hot Dawg I have picked out draws the outside combustion air as well.

Quote Originally Posted by joe milana View Post
    Jim, what's the HDS series? The Hot Dawg I have picked out draws the outside combustion air as well.
    The HDS designates separated combustion or outside air. HD model burns air from inside.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gregory View Post
    ..... I use portable propane for my detached shop, so I installed a programmable thermostat so that I could not accidentally leave it on...
    how did you accomplish controlling a portable propane heater with a thermostat?