Thread: "Deglossing" a finish...

"Deglossing" a finish...

Long story short, I'm going to take advantage of Target's free shipping on EM6000 and order a gallon. I almost always prefer a satin or matte finish, but I've heard of others spraying gloss for everything and then rubbing down to the desired sheen. Does this work well for EM600 (if so, what process?) or should I just order the satin right from the jump. Thanks

You can buff to any sheen you want if you use a gloss finish, not so of satin finish. Sometimes the labor to get an even satin on a large surface is not worth the trouble; in this case, satin it is...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks, Scott.

One question, though. By "buff" exactly what process and materials are you speaking of? I'm assuming buffing as being less complex than rubbing out, correct?

When I say...

Rubbing out - progression of wet sanding from 600 or so sandpaper to 6000 or higher.

Buffing out - buffing with steelwool or synthetic steelwool, wet or dry Satin finish
    or
    buffing with a brown paperbag wet with mineral spirits (this will not knock down the shine very much but will make it smooth) Semi-gloss
    or
    if all it needs is the shine brought up a polishing compound Gloss

A full rubout to gloss would probably include all the steps but the steelwool and the papper bag.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.