Thread: Em6000 Question

Em6000 Question

With cool weather coming on, I'm switching from alkyd varnish to EM6000 and ordered a gallon today for testing. After doing some research, I forgot about just one thing, namely how long does one have to wait for it to cure before it can be machine buffed?

One other question. I typically have to fill a lot of irregularities in the surface with my finish, such as daubing varnish into a gapped glue line, flaws in burls, etc. How well does 6000 build up? Is it similar to NC lacquer or varnish in terms of viscosity and cured millage? Or is it more like WB acrylics, which is signifcantly thicker.
    Last edited by Harvey Pascoe; 11-19-2011 at 12:21 PM.

Harvey, I shot a gallon of EM6000 today and the can says to wait 150 hours before buffing. As far as viscosity goes its not very thick. I used a gravity fed HVLP gun with a 1.5mm tip and it sprayed beautifully. It burns in nicely with each subsequent coat and levels dead flat. First time using this product and I'm very satisfied with it. Jeff

I would wait as long as possible for machine buffing any finish, not just the EM6000. For me, that would likely be several weeks to absolutely insure a full cure.

Relative to build, it's not hugely different than NC Lacquer in that respect. They do have a high-solids product (EM7000) if you really need that. You can also use a grain filler, such as Behlen's as long as you seal with de-waxed shellac before applying the water borne products.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...