Thread: Need a starter bit set

Need a starter bit set

I've been searching for a starter router bit set but am getting overwhelmed by all the selections. I would like a good starter set which would allow me to do some basic sign work. My current project needs to vcarve raised letters surrounded by a flat area and a chamfered edge. I would like a set which would work equally well in wood and plastic if possible. My machine is coming with ER11 1/8" and 1/4" collets, not sure if I should get a 1/2" collet.

The bits I thing I need are:
    a few roughing end mills
    a few vcarve bits 30 45 and 60 degree
    and maybe some engraving bits?????

I've attached an image that I output from vcarve of my first sign (letters were cut with a 90 degree, I think I need a 45) which is the first thing I want to output.sign.jpg

All other suggestions are welcome.
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

Ernie,
    I would suggest you call the folks at Hartlauer Bits - http://www.hartlauer-bits.com/ - they are very friendly and knowledgeable and will give you good advice. I'm fortunate that they are just a few miles away, but I would buy from them no matter how far - even Florida...

I don't know the capabilities of your router so I can't say whether or not you would need a 1/2" collet, but Hartlauer can probably guide you there as well.

Tell them Gary from Laser Image sent you - they may not remember me, it's been a while since I have needed any bits...

Gary

If your machine has an ER11 spindle, the largest collet you could get is 5/16" or 8mm.
    The bits you need are dependent on the type of work you will be doing. But in any case, straight up spiral bits in 1/4", 3/16", and 1/8" would be good to have (solid carbide). If you want to do 3D profiles, you will need som ball nose bits in the same size. Make sure any bit you buy can do plunge cuts.

Thanks all.

I ordered a nice set of bits from Hartlauer. I think I've got enough to get started. The rep was very helpful, and I appreciate the tip.
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

Do they even make a 1/2 collet in the ER 11 size. I thought 5/16 was the biggest you could get

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Martinez View Post
    ER11 1/8" and 1/4" collets, not sure if I should get a 1/2" collet.
    1/2" collet will not fit ER11.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.