Thread: Oliver intelliCarve 1015 Pro CNC Carving Machine

Oliver intelliCarve 1015 Pro CNC Carving Machine

Anyone know anything about this machine? It appears to have a limited controller but is compatible with PhotoVcarve & VCarve Pro.
    It only has 1" of Z travel, is that too limiting?
    This is the first time that I have seen it, I don’t know if it has been out very long.

Opinions, good or bad?
    http://www.douglasmachine.com/Produc...ct=450#details
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-20-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It says it has 4.13" of Z travel.

It also says 1" Max depth of tool. Not sure what they mean by that.
    First I've ever seen of this machine.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I wasn't very clear on that, was I? I guess I don't understand why they would say 1" depth of cut if it has 4" of Z travel.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce,

I've been looking around at different small CNC routers lately, and this is the first time that I've heard of this one. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

The Douglas Machine Company, for which you have provided the link, is apparently a dealer based in Kent, WA. The IntelliCarve is apparently manufactured in Canada by General CNC (or maybe it is General Manufacturing). You can find them at http://www.generalcnc.ca/home They also have a product brochure at http://l.b5z.net/i/u/10079302/f/icarver_brochure.pdf but it mostly just repeats the information given in the link stated in your post. You can also find a list of their US dealers at http://www.generalcnc.ca/us_dealers

Overall, their product information is generally rather non-specific. For instance, it says that the motors used are "Low backlash stepper motors" but does not give any specific about size or power. The spindle is 21,000 RPM with 2/3 horsepower, but apparently has a max of 1/4 bit diameter. Apparently, the controller is included, so an external PC is not required. It looks like controller software is proprietary, but Mach3 can be installed and it does read g-codes. Most of the softrware links on the site connect to Vectric, so I guess that Vectric software can be used.

All-in-all, it looks like a pretty nice machine, but it is also pretty expensive for that size. I look forward to reading posts for some who have actually used it.

By the way, for someone like me who is new to CNC and trying to learn all that I can, this forum is a tremendous resource. A special thank you to all of the experienced members who are willing to give encouragement and impart their expertise to newbies like me. The understanding and the class that you show is truly remarkable.

You really have to see this machine to appreciate how bad it is. I saw the General version run at an IL woodworking show. Horrible bearings, proprietary software using "Gee" code not real industry g code, no computer connection just memory stick, extremely slow, no jog option..... Don't purchase these machines without seeing it run!

I talked with Steve Stevenson of General. General does not have any machines in my area to look at & test drive. He will be in Tucson, AZ Dec 9-11 and Salt Lake City, Dec 12-13 doing some dealer and customer training on it and invited me to come buy. I’ll probably pass on the offer.

He also confirmed that the General 40-915X M1 and the Oliver IntelliCarve 1015 Pro are identical and that they & Oliver were the only two companies authorized to sell it in North America.

Andy Rooney

I saw a small General in action at the last IWF... I was not impressed.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 12-03-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Thanks Jim. That seems to be the general consensus.

This Fireball Comet was brought to my attention: http://www.probotix.com/FireBall_Comet_cnc_router
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-04-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Andy Rooney

bruce, what would you like to do with your machine?? there are some machines in the 2500-3500 market,, when i asked why some companies do not get in this price range i was told it is in the bearings and components i saw a machine i thought was the end all save all for the small machine, only to find that they were extremly inacurate, slow or unreliable and any combination of these,

Jim, I envision making doll houses & furnishings for my granddaughters, making some models for my grandson’s HO train set, some signs, and what ever else tickles my fancy. I’m retired, I basically just want to play. I don’t intend to try to make money with it but I don’t want junk either. I am pretty adept in both Solid Works and AutoCAD although it has been awhile since I’ve used them.

Andy Rooney

Probotix

As for the Probotix Comet, I have been very impressed with. Speeds have been very good the repeatable accuracy has been good. ( biggest down point is it is only set up for a trim router) No it does not use rack and pinion or ball and screw system. They use Acme all thread 1/2 dia. I have not noticed any backlash at this time. I have been running one for about 6 months. The last 3 months it has seen a lot of use. It is in a school setting with a lot of different users and is doing very well. No it is not the machine of the Cammaster or Shopbot. My intent is to use this machine and provide that a bigger and better machine will be profitable for the school to invest into. I also plan on purchasing one to put into my business as a stepping stone to the bigger one. P.S. I am not related to or affiliated with Probotix, just a person that has one and is happy with it at this time. When it was need they were also there for support
    probitix cnc Corel x3, Vcarve pro6.0, Aspire4.0

well it seems a lot of money for a relatively small machine. I suspect the lack of Z travel will definately be an issue at some point if you decide to start doing 3d carving in lets say 2" foam, although for most wood is likely the 1" cut is adequate. I would definately look at larger machines.

gerald
    SHOPBOT owner