Thread: How do you use a miter gauge with...?

How do you use a miter gauge with...?

an overarm blade guard/dc?? I've got a General 350 TS and thought the overarm blade guard/dust collector would be a good add on. So I built the overarm from WoodCentral's plans. I really like it, but...! I've also found that it limits the use of the miter gauge if you're going to keep the guard down low enough to still suction sawdust. Before, I had a 1"x3" board for an extension screwed to the miter gauge. Now, if I'm crosscutting a board, I would have to raise the guard up far enough to go over the 3" MG board which lifts it too far to catch any sawdust. So, now I've just been using the MG to the right of the blade. No big deal but kind of a pain. Anyway, I've got a Rockler $50 gift cert from another order. Right now they've got the Incra 1000HD on sale for $120 w/free shipping. I thought of using the gift cert with this, which would make this a pretty decent deal. But the fence is to the left which means the blade guard would always have to be up so high. Now...finally my question! Who has the overarm setup, and how do you accommodate a miter gauge fence with it?? Thanks. Greg

Cut the board down to 1" high for the last few inches like most sliding crosscut fences are. You didn't say how big the dust port on the guard was but 3 or 4" is needed. Dave

Blog Entries
    I don't. I raise the guard for miter gauge and sled cuts. There are certain tasks that are more dangerous with the hood down . In my shop dust collection is mostly done. I generally have a few drifts of chips or dust that collect here and there. I suck them up with the vac or swing a DC hose over from a nearby machine now and again. I am comfortable (as is my pre-good-dust-collection caused sinus condition [adequate DC given priority too late]) with getting 90+% of the stuff. I have a gated port near the tablesaw which I quick-connect a hose-whip to for local clean up following a mess-making activity.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-26-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I also raise the overhead guard for cross cuts & miter gauge cuts.