Thread: Belt/Disc Sander or Drum Sander

Belt/Disc Sander or Drum Sander

I have a Jet 6-Inch/12-Inch Belt/Disc sander that has been in my shop for quite a while and has not been used much. I am thinking about selling it and getting a drum sander - either a 16x32 or a 22x44. Which is more useful for the hobbyist, the Belt/Disc or the Drum? With limited floor space I can probably only fit one or the other.

I got a drum sander a couple of years ago. I can't imagine not having it now. It depends upon what you do more of, but for me I could live more easily w/o the belt/disk sander.

I have a smaller belt/disc sander which gets used annually for about 5 minutes, mostly for metal work. I have a 16/32 sander which probably gets used on every project. Once you run a cabinet door through a drum sander, you'll never look back.

Keep in mind that there's a learning curve with a cantilivered drum sander. They perform beautifully within a certain range and are intended to remove subtle amounts of wood.

Blog Entries
    Hi David,

Welcome to Sawmill Creek.

I suppose it comes down to what projects you make

In my case a drum sander is by far more useful than a disc/belt sander. I have a Delta 16/32. Similar to David Brum mine gets used on most every project.

PHM

I have both and cannot live w/o the disc/belt sander. That said, I do not frequently use if for extensive sanding of flat surfaces etc but for the ease of quickly skimming off a little thickness, or shortening a board, or rounding an edge, and a myriad of other tasks my d/b sander is a time and effort saver. Best to you

I have a drum and smaller d/b sander. As mentioned, it depends on what you'll do. For me, I'd give up the d/b sander before the drum. It does have a learning curve and limited in what it can do, but for me, it's a must have. IF you want to do inlay/segmented work, the drum sander does an amazing job.

Room is always the problem. Once a disc sander gets to 24" it gets used all the time as does an edge sander. Look at used Performax 25x2 machines. Same room as 22-44 but lots more versatile. Dave

David, where are you at? I have a sander that I would sell. Dave
    Last edited by David Kumm; 11-22-2011 at 10:56 AM.

I have a Performax 22-44. I like it and use it a lot, but it takes quite a bit of space up in the shop.

David, it all depends on what you do. If you do cabinet face frames a lot, the drum sander is almost a must. But I, for one, can't live without my 12" disc sander. As a matter of fact, I have two...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    David, it all depends on what you do. If you do cabinet face frames a lot, the drum sander is almost a must. But I, for one, can't live without my 12" disc sander. As a matter of fact, I have two...
    I also have two, one with medium grit & one with course. They would both go before my Woodmaster!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

If I used a drum sander enough, I'd be right there with ya, Bruce. But for what I do, I can't justify the floor space for a drum sander. They are awesome at what they do...if you need them. For me, a disc sander goes a long way further...and one of my disc sanders is a disk/belt combo. Honestly, I don't need the belt part as much, though. Now if I could fit an edge sander in... ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh
    I drink, therefore I am.

12. Hard to beat the versatility of the D/B, but for me the drum sander is one of those "how did I live without you?!" pieces.