Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for feedback on Clear Vue cyclones.

Looking for feedback on Clear Vue cyclones.

I am trying to find out if a Clear Vue cyclone would be adequate for my shop. Machinery includes a 16" slider, 20" jointer/planer combo, 10" cabinet saw, shaper, lathe, and a three horse router connected to a 10' drop of flex hose. I use the router for cutting entire 3/4" MDF sheets into parts using templates (in terms of dust creation, think CNC). No station would be further than forty feet from DC, 6"duct through out, with ecogates on everything.

I'm not looking for a bunch of meaningless numbers, CFM this, static pressure that, inches of water, blah blah blah. I would like to hear some real world experience with the Clear Vue and big planers/jointers or from someone creating a lot of MDF or other fine dust.

any + hp cyclone should do you. nothing wrong with the cleaview I have one but the oneida setup costs less and has a better filter.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I've had mine for a couple of years .. works just fine .. about the biggest dust/chip maker I have is an 18" Woodmaster that I often use for molding & sanding. The ClearVue sucks it clean.

I can't speak to the issue of Wynn filters .. I have the exhaust of mine running into a plenum filled with 6 large TORIT filters .. .. no problems there.

BIG PLUS ++ I don't think you'll find a competitor with their dedication to customer satisfaction & overall support. You can call them just about any time & get a friendly response.

I'm certain that a ClearVue CV1800 or the CV MAX will handle your needs very adequately. I visited the production shop at ClearVue in Pickens, SC 2 years ago and witnessed both units in operation on CNC machines doing production cutouts of MDF parts for their blowers and smaller CV06 units. The picture below shows the spindle on one of the CNC units with a 6" diameter pickup to 6" flex connected 8' feet above to an 8" main run about 25 feet from a closet containing the CV MAX. This arrangement picked up all of the router spindle dust easily. As further proof (with the router off), Ed Morgano placed a 25' Lufkin tape measure in the palm of his hand and it was sucked out of his hand instantly when he moved it under the skirt -- in less than 2 seconds, it was in the Cyclone's bin.

Here is the head of the CNC machine and the dust collection skirt and flex connection

The tape measure in the bin (no, the tape wasn't extended for it's trip!)

Ed showed us the filter cleanout box and there was no residue at all in it; he said they clean the filters about once every 2-3 months, but they check the bins every day. They had several other tools connected including tablesaw and bandsaws, but not a planer. I have a CV1800 that I am in the process of installing in my shop.

I love mine, but don't have any real world info on jointers or planers to help you. Get ahold of Marc Spaguolo, "The Woodwhisperer". He is a member here, and has his own website as well. Marc has had a Clear Vue for several years and would be the best one I know of to give you some real world information. There is also a guy in the auto sound industry that has one. About all he cuts is MDF. Wish I knew his name. Hope this helps a little. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

It's only as good as the install

I have a CV1800, but don't have a planer/jointer as big as yours. However I did run a nearly 15" board through my 15" planer and my clearvue had no problem with it. It also has no problems with anything else I have used it for (all normal tools, tablesaw, router, etc.)

Your results will only be as good as your installation. You will have to use 6" pipe everywhere. I upgraded all my DC ports and hoods. I had to build new things for the drill press and the bandsaw. I still have to build an enclosure for my miter saw (ripping off the design from Sam Layton - member here, search for "shop tour").

You have to make sure that bottom the cyclone and the trash can is absolutely 100% sealed. I had a small air leak around the short flex hose that connects the cyclone to the trash can and it was pulling fine dust down into my filters. The leak was simply following the coil of the hose because nothing can seal reliably where the coil starts. So I had to caulk that.

Also installing a ClearVue is a bit of project. I have heard the Oneida is faster to install, but I have no experience with that.

I've had my CV1800 installed since about Feb. I'ts handled everything, 15" planer, 12" jointer, TS, 18" bandsaw with 2 dust ports, router table with one 4" and two 2 1/2" ports. I leave the planer and TS open all the time, and open and close the others when needed. I've face jointed up to 10" maple, and that's about as big as I've planed.

I am extremely happy w/my clearvue--w/one caveot: it is made of MDF and is fragile. To me, it is a poor man's version of an all metal cyclone. So if I could have afforded it, I would have bought the Oienda; but for the price of the CV and what it does, it's hard to beat (IMHO)!!

you can get an Oienda for less.
    never have figured out why they use mdf. though it is easier to screw into. but cost wise it would hardly be anymore to go to a shop ply.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    you can get an Oienda for less.
    never have figured out why they use mdf. though it is easier to screw into. but cost wise it would hardly be anymore to go to a shop ply.
    MDF machines a lot more crisply than shop ply. Baltic birch would do it, but thats 3 times as expensive as MDF.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    MDF machines a lot more crisply than shop ply. Baltic birch would do it, but thats 3 times as expensive as MDF.
    well that is true to an extent. but it is not a big deal. I have found shop ply that cuts clean and some that leaves fuzz.
    mdf cuts clean at about any speed on my cnc.
    Baltic birch is killer on a cnc router it cuts so nice.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

What are you using at this time?

I have a 3 hp Oneida cyclone it would easily handle your tools. Of course I am assuming that you are only using 1 or 2 tools at a time.
    Thank You
    Ed

13. The clearvues are on sale now. I built mine for about $1000. Best thing I ever did and the duct work only cost me about another $120. Even made my own 6" blast gates

I know I am bumping a really old thread.. its old to me too... but I just saw the pictures again and something really jumped out at me....

ARE THOSE CIGARRETE BUTTS IN THE COLLECTION BIN!?!?

If so... why on earth would anyone use a cyclone bin as an ashtray? Isn't that about the dumbest thing you can do? I am asking since maybe I am missing something... like maybe they have one leg of their ducting that goes underwater like a giant bong??? Or some kind of spark arrestor?

Best will in the world Johnny, and not to be smart about it - but my dust system is a Clear Vue and it moves lots of air. Hope that helps.

....that's about as far as you get without numbers and/or a lot of experience.

Realistically there's only two ways to approach the topic without numbers - either you inspect a known high performing example and blindly set out to replicate it, or take somebody's word that a given system works well. (in which case you probably won't even have anything to replicate)

Either way you risk accidentally introducing changes that could significantly reduce performance.

It gets especially difficult to get far with any certainty if you want to compare between systems without numbers.

It's not even plain sailing when working with numbers because the data that's about (mostly put out by makers) tends put politely to be capable of varied interpretations (which with the possibility that variations will be introduced during system builds) is why so much of the numbers based information that gets posted here in that vein tends to avoid offering unconditional advice), but it's worth putting a bit of time into gaining at least a basic understanding of how dust systems work.

It's basically a question of return on your time. It's not that hard to get a grasp of the basic principles and hence what the numbers mean, especially if you could find somebody who knows their way around the topic and spend an evening with them. It's meanwhile no problem at all to blow a lot of cash and time on stuff that will need re-working/leave you struggling with problems if you're flying blind.

If you'd rather not get involved then the best advice I could give is to find somebody reliable and running similar equipment that you feel is getting good dust system performance. Then be led by them...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 07-09-2012 at 6:26 PM.