Thread: Shed to house a generator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shed to house a generator

I just bought a Generac 17.5Kw generator. Up in New Jersey here, and the recent hurricane//power outage 2 months ago had the Missus looking mighty cross.
    Anyway power goes out at least once a year here, mostly mid-summer when the trees are very heavy. Often stays out a few days.

I would like to store the Generac outside, and it will be near the service panel. My neighbor is the electrician, installs a lot of home generators, he says the location is good.
    The base is Pressure Treated 2'X4' cross-tied with lap-joints flat (sleeper), screwed and TiteBond, very stable. On top of that is a plastic pad, designed for as base for compressors, 4'X3'X3" thick,
    To protect the unit from rain (the snow load will not get at it), I was thinking of building a small dog-house size building 4' long X 32" wide X 46" high, framed with cedar 2X2s, and clad with Cedar clap siding, and roof (2 gables for vents), maybe same thing, cedar claps.
    The cedar offers the advantage of being very stable, plus light, and good workability. White cedar is very even-grained. Glued up M&T joints on this frame would be very strong. Seems this small building would be well under 80 pounds. I would like to be able to lift the shed up to move it, no winches, chain hoists, etc. If I had to, I could build it in a couple of sections, break apart, or just 4 walls being one piece, plus roof section separate, snaps together (with gate hooks, whatever)
    Any reason why this is a bad idea?
    Any other suggestions?

tia
    tom
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 11-23-2011 at 12:05 PM.