Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shed to house a generator

Anthony, you have me there. I think the electrician said that he was going to connect a couple of the outlets, so that's probably 72A. He also said that everything in the house will run (not simultaneously), except for the emergency heat (2 each 60 amp breakers). The house is 400amp service, two main panels, maybe that is different from what you are thinking. I think one outlet goes to one panel, smaller outlet to the second panel, gets the total amperage. Don't know, is that it maybe?
    But I have wood/coal furnace (120K BTUs) which is 95% of my heat need.
    I went with the portable because
    1) total cost (about 1/3 of price of a standby)
    2) don't need permits for a machine on wheels.

The standby required building department PLUS Fire Inspector. The first was OK, but the Fire guy said I needed concrete filled steel posts in front of the propane tanks. Ya know, the industrial park look, same as a Burger King parking lot. He was flexible in that I could paint them any color I wanted. Personally, he was a nice guy, but just more government out of control. Last I checked, it is my property. Deal breaker for me, not doing that.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 11-24-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Techinically you have 144A of 120V service (72A on each leg). But you have to subtract double amperage for anything 240V. If you have a 100A main panel (100A of 240V service), you may be able to run everything. If you have 200A main you will only be able to run most stuff.

You should have asked how much to bury the tank. A friend of mine save a ton of money by burying his. Above ground required a minimum of 4 concrete post footers 10" diameter and 4' deep or a 6" thick pad 12" wider and longer than the base of the tank (no posts required). Burying it required a hole (don't recall the width and length), but had to be two feet deeper than the tank was tall. One foot under willed with gravel and covered in silt fence and the top of the tank could be no closer than 12" to the surface and no deeper than 24" from the surface. He dug the hole and gravelled it himself and dug the trench. The tank cost less to.

I wonder what the 'driver' was for the concrete posts. Was the tank in a particularily crash 'likely' area?

The tank was on the lawn, setbacks were OK, but only 15 feet from the driveway. However, I have a pretty large yard, so the tanks would have be 150 yards from the street, certainly not a danger to motorists not trespassing on my property. Unless it's the UPS and USPS delivery drivers who can't be trusted, the logic of the rule eludes me.
    And not burying any tanks either. Most homes around here heat with oil. That's another problem. My homeowners recently sent an emphatic message that no homeowners policies will cover buried oil tanks that leak. Don't know if propane leaks, and no interest in finding out.
    Life seemed simpler years ago.
    Happy holidays.

Ditto around here. Burying an oil tank is way way expensive. They require a double walled tank in a sealed concrete vault with a leak detector in the double wall and one the in the vault. Then insurance MAY give you a policy. Propane is a gas when vented so if it does leak the ground may contain it for a while but once you disturb it, the propane will evaporate (unlike oil)

Old thread, thought I would update it.
    The licensed electrician finally hooked the unit up.
    Has two configurations for running.
    I can run 50 amp(X 220v) or
    50 amp(X 220v) plus 30 amp (X 220v) total 80 amp (X 220v).
    The house service is 400 amp (two panels), so the single plug only backfeeds one panel, but connecting both plugs feeds both panels. Obviously can't run everything at once.
    At 50 amp output I have pretty much everything available except heat pumps for air conditioning (2 each 2 ton)
    With the 80 amp connection I can run one heat pump.
    The house also has electric "emergency" heat (rarely use and cannot run on the generator - 2 breakers total - 60amp X 220v). I installed a 120K btu wood/coal furnace a few years ago. Just need small amount of electric for the blower. That heats the house.

The generator sits now in the basement. The large local builder (who uses generators all the time) said that is best.
    If I store the generator in a tight confine (dedicated shed) the mice will probably get at it, in it, and chew the wires.
    So, it stores in the heated basement, also solved the problem of cold dead batteries.
    Also, the generac came from the factory with 2 wheels and a front "foot". Took that off right away, added a third caster (with a brake).

Thanks again for all the help.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 07-02-2012 at 5:54 PM.

There is no way that you solved the dead battery, if you fail to keep the battery charge, one day you will need the generator and find that the battery are dead with no way to charge it, I remove my lawn tractor battery and charge it every two weeks or start the tractor twice a month to keep the battery charge
    Last edited by ray hampton; 07-02-2012 at 7:24 PM.

does your insurance company know that you have installed an internal combustion engine in your basement complete with fuel feed? You might want to be sure just incase they decide not to cover you if anything ever happens. for what it's worth, Iv'e had my generac outside in its enclosure for many years now and never had pest issues.

You need a lot of ventilation or it will overheat. I left the gables open for my 5000 watt gen. and it shut down due to overheating in about an hour in 45° weather. Just put roof over it and leave the sides open!

I've been brewing a similar plan for my generator (smaller unit) for some time...

My plan actually makes the dog house look like a dog house... and thus disguises the gnerator. Keep in mind that in Katrina, houses with generators were targeted for theft.... specifically to get the genrator.... so making it look like a dog house has "tactical" merit.

My plan has the end wall hinged to the platform at the bottom, so that it can unlatch and pull down to make a ramp (my unit is on wheels.... but if yours is not, you could get in there with forks or pallet jack to pull it out).

You need to plumb air in and exhaust out... and vent the gable to let the heat out... and if this is an air cooled generator, install a fan.

Think security.... air and exhaust flow.... and heat removal....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
    ).......The generator sits now in the basement......
    can you say " asphyxiate"!

Of course I don't run the generator in the basement.

As I said, ... So, it stores in the heated basement,

Meaning, the Generac sits in a row next to three lawn mowers of various sizes (the largest being a diesel), a troybuilt rototiller, 13 hp snowblower, and a few other small engines, two strokes and such. I never run any of these in the house. The big advantage of storing these in the house is that none of these machines ever get mouse nests in them. Plus, they are always dry. As opposed to my tractor shed, which also has some small engines, one Ag tractor, and a couple of three point hitch implements. And has mice everywhere, looking to set up shop in every nook and cranny.

Also, I gave up on the "dog house" storage idea, again, because if the mice get into the machine, ... just isn't worth taking a chance.
    Maybe some of you folks don't live in rural areas. Just trust me, if there is a possibility that you will get mice in your machines, you want to try something else.

The electrician gave me two hookups, in the driveway, and under that deck
    http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6046/6...63240ae9_b.jpg
    And I bought a boat winch to get the generator up the hill and under the deck. Works OK.

The reason I updated the post (after the licensed electrician had finished) was to inform that this 17.5KW (startup) Generac does put out a total of 80 amp @ 220v.
    Been some other posts on output recently.
    Last edited by Tom Fischer; 07-03-2012 at 1:24 PM.

oops. posted in error.
    Last edited by Joseph Tarantino; 07-04-2012 at 9:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    not being that far from where you are, tom, what led you to get a portable generator that big as opposed to a true standby? if you need a winch to move it into operating postiion, it's not exactly a lightweight unit. i mean, 80 amps! that would even handle my cental air during a summer power failure. as it is, since we have NG, i can run 1/2 the house easily on 20A. or are you primarily electric?
    Your answer from post #16:

"I went with the portable because
    1) total cost (about 1/3 of price of a standby)
    2) don't need permits for a machine on wheels.

The standby required building department PLUS Fire Inspector. The first was OK, but the Fire guy said I needed concrete filled steel posts in front of the propane tanks. Ya know, the industrial park look, same as a Burger King parking lot. He was flexible in that I could paint them any color I wanted. Personally, he was a nice guy, but just more government out of control. Last I checked, it is my property. Deal breaker for me, not doing that."
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hi Joe,

No, we have no Natural Gas here. Maybe the terrain is too hilly, or too remote. But if we did have NatGas, probably would have bought the standby.
    I have a neighbor with a 20Kw generac standby with Propane. It is nice, and very quiet.
    Probably would have cost $12K with everything the Fire Marshall wanted. My neighbor says it costs about $100/day to run. Not cheap.
    And then there is the not so small problem of what if I can't get a propane delivery during a power outage.
    We are only a few miles from Interstate 80, so I figure that I should be able to buy 15 gallons of gasoline, no matter what happens.
    So I went with the gasoline fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
    <snip>
    And then there is the not so small problem of what if I can't get a propane delivery during a power outage.
    We are only a few miles from Interstate 80, so I figure that I should be able to buy 15 gallons of gasoline, no matter what happens.
    So I went with the gasoline fired.
    Been several threads over on the tractor forum about different generators etc. Several posters posted that during the recent East coast outages they had great trouble getting gas. Some stations were shut down, others had lines an hour long. You probably should buy 20 gallons of (preferably) non-ethanol gas, treat it with Stabil, and "cycle" it, pouring it into a gas burner every 6 months.

I've only got a 7KW generator with an 8 gallon tank at my house in Virginia. I use the tank as a "storage tank", draining fuel for my lawnmower, then refilling it and treating the refill with Stabil.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves