Thread: DC for a lunchbox planer

DC for a lunchbox planer

I have a Delta 22-560 lunchbox planer with a 4" DC hood along with a 18 gallon shop vac with a 2 1/4" hose. I am trying to find an adapter that will work with this setup. At some point I will get a dedicated DC but for the limited amount of machine planing I do this setup will suffice...except for the dust collection. Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

You are going backwards from what most folks do... I bet you could use the same fitting http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W104...5&sr=8-3-fkmr1 but you would need a coupler if you are going to use a regular shop vac hose...

Mind you, I have a planer with a 2.5" dust chute, and you WILL be disappointed with dust extraction with this. No matter what I do, I get some shavings on the planer table. It's not even 1%, but its enough to annoy me...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Unfortunately I will have to come up with some type of "rube goldberg" solution...the little bit of shavings on the table are not that bothersome compared to having shavings all over the floor plus the planer table!

Jim

I took my shop-vac hose and found a coupler that fits directly in to the end of the hose. I believe this is the one http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...r-Fitting.aspx (woodcraft item #144534). But this will be the same size as the 4" port. So you will either need a 4" ABS Union http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...n-Fitting.aspx (woodcraft item #143660) or a short piece of flex and a pair of clamps.

Jim,
    I did this in the beginning and I thought it worked pretty well.
    You will be emptying the sweeper and cleaning the filter a lot.
    As I remember I used some duct pipe and duct tape.
    Duct tape is good for everything.

The little bit of shavings on the bench are not the problem so much as shavings that end up under your board and throwing off the cut but it depends on how deep a cut you are making how much trouble the shavings could be.
    My Dewalt has a 4" connector and I have to drop it down for my shop vac. But the shop vac does NOT handle the collection very well and puts out a LOT of shavings, especially to the right side which is farthest from the hose.

I have some serious reorganizing of my shop to do and then I can hook up a real DC but the current layout just does not allow for it.

I bought the larger hose for my Shopvac and it fi the 2 1/2 inch connector on my Ridgid planer. I added a dust deputy and it does a pretty good job. I see a few shavings on the table, but not many and the planer stays clear...

I have a Dewalt 735 planer (4" outlet) and a shop vac (2 1/2" inlet). I built a Thien cyclone seperator that I have between the two. http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

I run 4" flex between the planer and cyclone and 2 1/2" flex between the cyclone and shop vac. Probably not the best set-up, but it is what I have room for. The cyclone does capture close to 100% of the chips and dust.

HTH,

Tom

I had this same Delta Planer and gave it to my son for a start-up shop. When I had it I used a 6hp older Craftsman w/ Dust Deputy/Hepa conversion for dust control. It worked very well although I feel the dust pick-up chute is the most important factor here.
    I currently use the same D/C system although on a Makita planer although I feel it's not as efficient as the dust chute does not give a straight shot to dust hose, it pulls dust from right side of chute.

Here's a pic of my Vac w/ Dust Deputy/Hepa I used.

Good luck, Mac

IMG_0004.jpg
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 11-24-2011 at 6:34 PM.

I've dealt with the same battle starting up, still starting up. Shop vac simply would not cut it with my DeWalt 733. Maybe for the first board but the filter got plugged way to easily.

I stumbled across this one day and it was cheap enough I thought I might as well try it.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...odel65115.aspx

It's gotten mixed reviews, but it's worked well for me on the 733. You will have to trim out the plastic spider on the intake side. The planer simply pushes way to much shavings through for the spider to stay there. Does it clear out the fines? Not really, but it really improved the chip collection on that planer.

I have a jet 6" jointer in storage. As soon as that is pulled out and set up I will probably buy another mini collector and try it there as well.

Just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    You are going backwards from what most folks do... I bet you could use the same fitting http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W104...5&sr=8-3-fkmr1 but you would need a coupler if you are going to use a regular shop vac hose...

Mind you, I have a planer with a 2.5" dust chute, and you WILL be disappointed with dust extraction with this. No matter what I do, I get some shavings on the planer table. It's not even 1%, but its enough to annoy me...
    David,

I purchased the adapter you mentioned and it works fine for what I need it for. After I plane my wood I use a #7 Jointer then a #4 plane to finish. Works great!

Jim

Seems like a call to one of the fabric bag companies would possibly gain you a 1 micron bag upgrade that would help with filtering although not sure of the effects of air-flow.
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by John Gustafson View Post
    I've dealt with the same battle starting up, still starting up. Shop vac simply would not cut it with my DeWalt 733. Maybe for the first board but the filter got plugged way to easily.

I stumbled across this one day and it was cheap enough I thought I might as well try it.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/s...odel65115.aspx

It's gotten mixed reviews, but it's worked well for me on the 733. You will have to trim out the plastic spider on the intake side. The planer simply pushes way to much shavings through for the spider to stay there. Does it clear out the fines? Not really, but it really improved the chip collection on that planer.

I have a jet 6" jointer in storage. As soon as that is pulled out and set up I will probably buy another mini collector and try it there as well.

Just my experience.