Thread: A new hat for "gnarly"

A new hat for "gnarly"

I could not stand looking at "gnarly" the way it was............did not like the lid! I took it to the shop and cut down the lid...........changed the appearance for the better in my opinion........even though the curves are not as flowing as one would like to see................

I liked the finial okay, so I kept it, even though I made it large on purpose to compete with the "gnarly-ness" of the form

First two pics are the new lid and slightly re-shaped base on the finial.......last pic is the original lid.

Comments welcome!

IMGP3187.jpgIMGP3189.jpgIMGP3184.jpg
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I think this is an improvement. I am curious as to whether the lid and finial were already glued? If not, one possibility may have been to vacuum chuck the form - at least as a jam chuck if it wouldn't hold vacuum, and then use the tailstock to hold the lid against the form. You could then turn the lid and form to "meld" them together. Not sure I explained that good enough, but that is often how I will turn a lid so that it flows with the form.

Just a thought for the next one.

In this case, that was not an option, John. The finial was glued to the lid, and what I did was just cut the lid down and part off the finial...........I turned a tenon on the upper side where the finial was glued and reversed it in the chuck, hollowed out the inside of the lid, and put some decorative rings in it.........

then re-chucked back the other way, and fitted the finial back into a new mortise.....turn & fit, turn & fit, etc. until the finial looked correct..........then reshaped the lid to its present form. Glued the finial back on, and decided that was all I wanted to do with this one............as you know, I just do not like this piece of wood............but I thought I could help it a little with the lid cut down some...........I actually was able to lighten up the color of the lid a bit as well, so it looks better now.

Looking good Roger. I do like the new lid better.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Roger, you could call this the Gnarly Bishop...that finial kinda looks like a chess piece.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I actually was able to lighten up the color of the lid a bit as well, so it looks better now.
    Roger, my guess is that you ended up with more face grain on the lid vs. the end grain that appeared darker. Either way, it is a definite improvement and I applaud your efforts at the redux. It is difficult for me to go back to a piece - I lose interest pretty quickly when I am not happy with one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Roger, you could call this the Gnarly Bishop...that finial kinda looks like a chess piece.
    Funny you should say that Mike.......a few months ago, at one of our club meetings, I took in a handful of practice finials just to show the progression.........one of the guys asked me if they were chess pieces I told him no, they are finials......just practicing my technique.............

That is something I have thought about doing, in a passing thought or two.............maybe when I retire

nice re-build..

I like the revision Roger. The flow of the form into the lid seems better.