Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: which box joint jig to buy Rockler or Woodsmith

Thanks for the explanation--it sets itself pretty much how I imagined. By "caliper" I meant that the "engine" gauges the notch width & transfers that to the jig positioning, similar to how a caliper gauges off a part & transfers that movement to a readable scale.

I sent Incra a e-mail per there site and here’s what they sent:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:03 PM
    Subject: Ibox Incra Box Joint Jig

I have been waiting for some time now for the release of the new Ibox Incra box joint jig and was just wondering when it is going to be available and where I can get one? Can I be put on some kind of waiting list to get one? Or order one direct from you? Or possible sent an e-mail with information when they do get released to the retail sector? If so my e-mail address is ________________

Thanks
    Richard

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Hello, Richard~

I'm sure we'll be sending an e-mail blast to all of our preferred customers and, of course, it will appear on our web site as soon as it is ready.

Thanks for your interest and anticipation...

Kind regards~

Linda
    Incra Tools

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><>

Basically not answering my question but just side stepping it politely

Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I will. I think it will be a great product. It is reasonably priced. I have fooled around with box joints and various jigs and this looks like the best to me.

GN

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    I sent Incra an e-mail . . .
    It won't do any good to bother them. Believe me they are busy. They are not a large company and the introduction of a major product like this takes a lot of resources. They don't want to make commitments when something outside their control could easily delay release- truck delivering parts falls in the river or burns up in a highway accident, cardboard packaging factory catches fire, etc. Believe me, I more than anyone can't wait for it to come out, but am willing to wait a little more.

I will be out of town later this month so if you want to be certain you will be alerted immediately when it is released, go to the Incremental Tools website and sign up for their free Preferred Customer Program- like Woodcraft, Woodpeckers, Rockler, and most WW tool vendors they send out emails with weekly specials, new arrivals, and promotional news. Thanks.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 02-02-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Any update on this?

I was notified last week it will be another 2 - 3 weeks. The video is taking longer than expected. The demos and tutorials must cover a lot since the I-BOX functions differently than other box joint jigs and it makes possible a number of variations on the traditional box joint. Anyone who has seen the Woodsmith Aluminum jig manual can attest it barely covers the basics and its video which was not available when the jig was initially released leaves a lot to be desired. INCRA does not want to make the same mistake.

I saw the completed label last week- they are ready to slap on the DVDs once shooting and editing are done and copies made.

Thanks for asking.

p.s. Something to remember, everyone who worked on the I-BOX is very familiar with how it operates and all its nuances, so it is important that no important details are omitted from the manual or video that seem obvious.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 03-05-2012 at 2:47 AM.

Hi Alan,

I think I saw a signature line from one of our fellow Creekers that said.

"There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going" I think that may be appropriate here. I happen to think it is true. Thank you for the update.

James

Finally got an I-Box yesterday. Excited to get into the shop and put it through its paces today.

Can't speak about any of the items mentioned, but I can say that my Leigh RTJ400 (relatively new product) is terrific. It has one feature that I think is unusual, if not unique: very easy micro adjustment of the joint tightness. Also does dovetails, of various flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schaffter View Post
    Tom, tomorrow, I will make a separate post about the new INCRA jig mentioned in the links in Ray's post and at Dan's link to Wood Magazine's web site (Wood selected the jig for one of their "Innov-8" awards)

It won't be out until January but I think it is well worth waiting for. It uses a mechanism totally different from any previous jig, that is incredibly easy to set, no calipers needed, works on both router table and tablesaw and is continuously variable- no need for templates, will make any size joint with tiny 1/8" up to robust 3/4" fingers and a few special finger joints as well.

Have one - Well made indeed! On sale now / free shipping http://www.amazon.com/INCRA-I-BOX-Ji...PQ6BCXC4W2FDAF

I have the Rockler, and you really need to be careful to make slow cuts and not move anything a hair out of square.

The IBox looks good and they make fine stuff. I have one that I made for my router table which works very well and can make 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" box joints. It may not be as neat as the IBox but I get extra pride that I made it.

I also have the Leigh D4R with the finger joint template which makes fingers from 1/8" to 1/2". I did not make it but it really works well but $$$$$.

If I were to buy now, I would really consider the IBox.