Thread: What to ask for?

What to ask for?

So my mom wants to know what I want for Christmas.

A few months ago I ordered two tools from Thompson Lathe Tools: a 1/2 inch V-shaped bowl gouge and a 1/2 inch spindle gouge. I got handles with both and the folks at TLT made a mistake and engraved my name on three handles. They were very nice to send me all three.

So, I've got a handle (16") needing a tool. I'm new to turning having started just in July. I've a Powermatic 3520A and I'm interested in mostly large-ish stuff. I got the lathe used and it came with a bunch of medium-quality tools that were used almost exclusively on spindle work (I bought this stuff from a cabinet shop). I also have an EWT rougher and finisher. What should I tell my mom I'd like from Thompson? A U-shaped bowl gouge? a scrapper? a skew? (I've got a skew from the purchase but haven't figured what to do with it).

Thanks for the help.

-Pete

Some of my work :http://www.flickr.com/photos/pete403...112916/detail/

I think I can sum this response up with one word..... YES (any of the above)!

If you don't have a large roughing gouge, that is a must. Doug sells a nice 5/8" bowl gouge or a GIANT 1 3/4" (I think) regular spindle gouge. The latter is a monster of a tool.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

If you like bigger stuff, I'd look at a bigger gouge. The 5/8 V is one that I use a lot, but I also use a 3/8 Clewes bowl gouge as well. The smaller one is probably a better fit for the 16" handle. A big, heavy scraper would be great, but I'd probably want it in a larger handle.

Do you have a grinder to sharpen all those great tools?

I have the 1/2 V & U bowl gouges. I just got a 3/8" V and love it. That would be on my list.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.