Thread: Homemade Unisaw outfeed table

Homemade Unisaw outfeed table

Hey guys,

Robert Mayer asked for more info about my outfeed table, so here it is. This may not appeal to everyone, but with my single-runner panel cutting sled (like Norm's), I found with my old outfeed table and its oversized mitre slots, that it could twist a bit when the runner wasn't supported if I was cutting a large panel.

So I vowed that my new outfeed table would have tight fitting mitre slots. But my mitre gauge has the little washer on the end which I like, so I need a "T-slot" mitre slot.

Not trusting aftermarket aluminum slots available in my area, I decided to mill my table to have these slots built in. Yes, they would probably wear over time, but I think they'll last a long time before that is an issue.

So....onto the construction details:

- Cabinet grade multi-layer plywood
    - Formica top and bottom
    - Edged in thick maple
    - Dead accurate, and I mean dead accurate machined mitre slots
    - Homemade welded steel legs bolted to the mobile base
    - The table is bolted to the cast iron top as well as my extension table through the thick maple edging.

I chose the size of fixed table to meet my common cutting chores. It can support a piece about 44" long before it wants to fall on the floor without further support. Future plans call for a folding outfeed table. That's why I used the construction materials I did for strength.

The hardest part was making the accurate mitre slots. To ensure perfection, when the table was complete (minus the slots), I bolted it into position. Then I used a precise straightedge and a razor knife to make the tiniest nick possible in the outfeed table to mark the start and end (and each side) of each mitre slot by lining up the straightedge with each side of the mitre slots.

Then I built the "exact-width dado jig" from WOOD magazine's free plans. After removing the table and careful jig alignment and holding my breath, I machined the dados. Then I brought out a keyhole bit (in the second pic) to make the T-slot part by clamping a straightedge to each side of the mitre slots.

A little shellac on the maple and slots and it's done.

It works great. Zero slop at all and as you can see in the first pic, both mitre gauges fit the slots perfectly without binding.

Cheers,

Allan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Allan,

It looks like you have been busy with shop projects! How come those projects are sometimes the most fullfilling!??! Anyways, the outfeed table looks great! I still need to make one for my saw!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Really excellent, Allan. It also solves the panel cutting problem...when the foldable portion of my outfeed table is up, it acts as a stop for the panel sled because the slots are only in the fixed portion. Your design is better...I might have to make a new one one of these days!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Allan...excellent design and follow through! When my new shop's finished, I need to build something similar for my new t/s.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Allan,
    That looks great! I like your idea of extending the "T" miter slot using the keyhole router bit. Thanks for posting the information.
    John

Thanks guys.

I must admit to getting a kick out of making shop projects. I think it has something to do with suffering with something inadequate at the start, then doing something about it.

Then each time I use it in the future I really enjoy it and am thankful I went to that effort in the first place. It all started with my drill press table upgrade. Every time I use that now I really enjoy it.

Maybe I'm a little strange...

Cheers,

Allan

Thanks for posting that Allan. Thats pretty much what I wanted to build for mine. Formica top with miter slots cut into it and the ability to fold it down.

thanks again!