Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber tile shop floor, installed w/ PICs

Smile Rubber tile shop floor, installed w/ PICs

Now I obviously have to buy all Festool gear to match my floor.

It's 3/8" thick, 4'x4' interlocking rubber tile, obtained for $.20 a sqft via Craigslist (retail is $3.50sqft + shipping.) I love it. The shop is quieter, easier to clean and looks better too. I'm completely worn out after installing it though... at 40lbs per tile, handing each piece probably a dozen times adds up to quite the workout.

I've added a large floor sweep along the one wall... I can now sweep the whole shop in no time by blowing it across the floor and towards the sweep.

DSC_2318.jpgDSC_2320.jpgDSC_2339.jpg

Nice! That must feel good on the legs.
    It must have been a chore moving all of that equipment too!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice, quite the deal on C/L. Your knees will certainly thank you in a few years.

Mac

Mark, That's a great looking shop and a great looking floor. What brand is the floor, even at $14 a square it is tempting.

That looks really good! Is it firm enough to roll a heavy toolbox or chair around on?
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Nice floor. What's the story of that large MFT?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Nice! That must feel good on the legs.
    It must have been a chore moving all of that equipment too!
    I've become rather practiced at tool herding. The Minimax has wheels and I was able to slip a furniture dolly under the workbench which made it pretty easy to wheel around. It was a lot worse a year ago when I put the subfloor in. I had to clear much bigger areas and had 20 sheets of 3/4" MDF that also had to get shuffled around a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sepucha View Post
    Nice floor. What's the story of that large MFT?
    It's just a regular MFT1080 (previous generation, but I think the same dimensions)

Ah, on second look... it's an artifact of using an extreme wide angle lens (10mm on my Nikon D300 SLR) that is stretching the dimensions of the MFT (since it's at the edge of the frame.)
    Last edited by Mark Denovich; 11-29-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Mark, That's a great looking shop and a great looking floor. What brand is the floor, even at $14 a square it is tempting.
    I can't say with certainty what brand it is, but what is shown on this page looks absolutely identical:
    http://www.greatmats.com/products/ru...terlocking.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    That looks really good! Is it firm enough to roll a heavy toolbox or chair around on?
    Absolutely. The Minimax is about 800lbs and doesn't even make a dent. It's about as dense/firm as the rubber on a car tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Very nice, quite the deal on C/L. Your knees will certainly thank you in a few years.
    Mac
    I spent a bit too much time squatting (sitting on my heels) on concrete and standing on a ladder last year... I got swelling in my forefoot (capsulitis). It took a few months, but better shoes, cushioned wool socks (Darn Tough brand... best damn socks I've ever worn) and prednisone (when I got poison ivy) got it under control. But I still need to be careful. I'm hoping this floor will go even further in keeping that at bay.

Before: A year ago

Found this shot of the shop from a year ago, before the latest (most dramatic) round of shop upgrades.

DSC_7365.jpg

Mark,

That looks like a superb idea.

Do you think it helps/hurts having laid that over a subfloor vs bare concrete.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

Let me know if you have any extra!

I'd love to score a deal like that. The cheap foam mats I have are good cusion, but I can't put them down in certain areas because I have to roll around some equipment and it the mats wouldn't hold up. Sounds like you've got the ticket there.

I have a 26 x 32 shop and I found a excercise and weight room place going under, and purchased all their mats. They are
    48" x 72" x 1/2" thick. Paid $20.00 each for them years ago, and they beat standing on cement for hours straight.