Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Benchtop Saw...

Sawstop Benchtop Saw...

I know there has been recent mention of this in various places, but this is the first visual I've seen of this saw. I did a search and didn't see anything on this site yet, so I apologize if this is a duplicate post. Below is a photo I just saw from a popular publication's website.

sawstop2_lg.jpg

This image definitely looks very prototype-ish with no fence or rail. Although I'm not in the market for such a saw, I'm definitely curious to learn more about it. This appears to be the most realistic step to getting their technology to the jobsite and addressing a significant, and previously unserved, segment of the market.

Thoughts?

That is interesting. I bet there are a lot of general contractor type's that would jump at that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Supposedly will be ready for production in summer and carry a sub-$1k pricetag. I'd be interested to know how heavy it is. If Sawstop is able to build a portable saw with class-leading fit and finish, comparable or surpassing the Bosch 4100, for around $100-200 more than the Bosch, Gass will certainly have made his point.

$800 with a good stand (gravity-rise?) and they will have a winner.

What I'm most curious about is whether this saw will launch itself in the air when the brake fires! I love my sawstop, but that's a little scary.

They have a dolly type stand for the contractor version or did in 2008.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

800 dollars for a plastic portable saw? You really think that contractors will jump at that? I am guessing the 400-500 you have to spend to get a 744 or a 4100 is pushing it, But I have been wrong before. I loved my 744 for what it could do as aortable saw but I was just barely able to justify the expense over my 99 dollar delta that did 99 percent of what the 744 could do with just a little more hassle. I think Sawstop might want consider that sometimes a product has a market and sometimes no matter what the product is the market isn't there for it. And not to sound stereotypical because I would consider myself a contractor or at least a wanna be one, but the average contractor isn't going to WANT to spend 800 dollars on a job site saw. I'm not saying they won't but I am saying there is a chance they wont. And sub 1000 is probably closer two a grand then it is 800. There high end saw has a market and they have proven they make a great product but that doesn't always translate downwards. Also if they are able to build the brake technology into a portable 800 dollar saw they are going to have a hard time justifying what they charge for it in their high end saw's.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 11-29-2011 at 11:51 PM.

If this saw exists, insurance companies will make it more expensive for a contractor to use a cheaper saw.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    If this saw exists, insurance companies will make it more expensive for a contractor to use a cheaper saw.
    yup, that's possible trend.

Sawstops from industrial to hobbyist grades are the number one selling brand. Why wouldn't the job site buyers follow the trend. If the rest of table saw market doesn't mind paying a premium, why would contractors?

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    800 dollars for a plastic portable saw? You really think that contractors will jump at that? I am guessing the 400-500 you have to spend to get a 744 or a 4100 is pushing it, But I have been wrong before. I loved my 744 for what it could do as aortable saw but I was just barely able to justify the expense over my 99 dollar delta that did 99 percent of what the 744 could do with just a little more hassle. I think Sawstop might want consider that sometimes a product has a market and sometimes no matter what the product is the market isn't there for it. And not to sound stereotypical because I would consider myself a contractor or at least a wanna be one, but the average contractor isn't going to WANT to spend 800 dollars on a job site saw. I'm not saying they won't but I am saying there is a chance they wont. And sub 1000 is probably closer two a grand then it is 800. There high end saw has a market and they have proven they make a great product but that doesn't always translate downwards. Also if they are able to build the brake technology into a portable 800 dollar saw they are going to have a hard time justifying what they charge for it in their high end saw's.
    You're thinking like a home hobbyist, not a contractor. A benchtop saw that costs $800 is a bargain versus having a worker chop his hand up and losing the productiviy for the man and the guy (if not you) who has to take him to the hospital, and that's not even counting the deductible on your buisness insurance. If Sawstop can push this thing out for the same price as the Bosch saw (and most other contractors I know have the Bosch), expect to see contractors buying these things in bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    You're thinking like a home hobbyist, not a contractor. A benchtop saw that costs $800 is a bargain versus having a worker chop his hand up and losing the productiviy for the man and the guy (if not you) who has to take him to the hospital, and that's not even counting the deductible on your buisness insurance. If Sawstop can push this thing out for the same price as the Bosch saw (and most other contractors I know have the Bosch), expect to see contractors buying these things in bulk.
    As long as it doesn't mis-fire. If out in the weather conditions promote mis-fires, then that cost and loss of productivity would have to figure into the equation. Does wet wood (thinking PT) cause these things to fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    As long as it doesn't mis-fire. If out in the weather conditions promote mis-fires, then that cost and loss of productivity would have to figure into the equation. Does wet wood (thinking PT) cause these things to fire?
    Having worked construction I'd be as afraid of morons trying everything they can find at the job site to set it off. "Just to see what happens" leading to a high cost of replacement parts.
    One purchase helps keep HF in business, the other helps keep LV in business.
    Those two outcomes have different values for me. - Chuck Nickerson

Now that thought makes me wonder what the ratio is between circular saw accidents and table saw accidents are on a job site, where the weather and work environment are not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Sawstops from industrial to hobbyist grades are the number one selling brand. Why wouldn't the job site buyers follow the trend. If the rest of table saw market doesn't mind paying a premium, why would contractors?
    The number one selling brand of what? They certainly are NOT the number one selling table saw brand, not even by a long shot...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    The number one selling brand of what? They certainly are NOT the number one selling table saw brand, not even by a long shot...
    That took me by surprise too. I would almost be willing to bet (and just a guess) that Grizzly sells more table saws than all other brands combined. Like i said. just a guess, not based on any facts.

I will be interested in seeing how the saw works. I'm curious how a small saw is able to absorb the shock of the sudden blade stop.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale