Thread: Fluorescent lights installed!

Fluorescent lights installed!

I rented a scissor lift from Sunbelt over last weekend. Renting that thing is the best $300 I've ever spent. Made mounting and wiring these 8 4-bulb fixtures in my garage shop with 26' ceilings possible! I also installed a 240 volt and a pair of 120 volt drop cords over the area I'll have my table saw, jointer, planer, and big dust collector. I can actually see in there now!

Congrats! I am taking a break to eat some dinner right now from a lighting upgrade in my shop. I have a ton of 4' fixtures in my shop. I am switching all of the bulbs to 6500K. It is crazy the difference the color of the light makes.

Anyway, what did you install?

Good going J, sounds like the lights worked out. I think good lighting job is one of the most satisfying jobs you can do - it changes the workshop from a gloomy cave to a a cheery and easy to work in space....

T8 6500K daylight bulbs. Four per fixture, eight fixtures. I got the fixtures off local CL for $64, bought two contractor packs of t8 ballasts along with a 25 pack and a 10 pack of bulbs from the borg, Found a good deal on new sockets on the bay. Ordered hanger brackets off Amazon. Also bought 25 foot extension cords and a reel of chain from the borg. Cut the extension cords to provide short plugs for each light and used the long end with the receptacle as 1 of four drop cords to reach the lights (two of those set-ups for the 8 lights). The chains let me drop the lights down low enough to get better light and be able to reach them for future service. While I was rebuilding the fixtures, I also scrubbed them down, used a wire cup brush to deal with a few rusty spots, and went through a half dozen or so bonus sized cans of Rust-o-ileum white enamel (from Walmart). All the wiring is inside 1/2" emt. I used a tandem breaker arrangement using 12/3 wire (with a ground) to get by with one run of wire for the lights. I did break out each circuit into a separate electrical box, each box with four drop cords. Ran that circuit through a double light switch so I can turn off either bank of lights if desired. While I was at it, I also wired one tandem circuit running around the left half garage walls and another for the right. Each socket has one receptacle for each circuit, so I can pull a full 20 amps (actually less, 20 would be the max) from each receptacle form a given fixture. Thinking that will make locally positioned dust collectors less of a problem. I dropped a one receptacle on the back wall left and right and three down each wall left and right. I would have liked to have wired in a second 240 drop (but not hooked up in the sub panel) for future use with my Unisaw after I get it restored, but I just ran out of time and energy.

I have a little wiring left to finish, but it's all at the sub-panel or along the wall circuits. Before I move all my stuff out of the POD and back into the shop, I'm going on a crash cabinet building binge per Tom Clark's book. My goal is to end up with a place for everything. We'll see how close I get.

I guess all this could look better, but my shop ceilings are so high that I couldn't see any practical need to run conduit everywhere. My drop cord arrangement was easy and made layout easy to change on the fly while I was installing.