Thread: Sketch Up Question - Mitering Crown Moulding

Sketch Up Question - Mitering Crown Moulding

DOes anyone know if there is an easy way to "miter" crown mouling in sketch up? I see that there is a union function in the pro version but not in the free version. I tried the tried the outter shell funtion to no success.

Intersect. Create a piece of molding. Make it a group. Create a plane (a rectangle is usually most convenient) that crosses the molding, almost like a saw would cut it. Then use the intersect function. It will create all the lines in the intersection of the plane and the molding. Erase away excess lines, and you're good.

FWIW, none of the Solid Tools such as Union will do what you want. Well, unless you already have one piece mitered.

Matt Jackson has a video tutorial: Quick and Slick: Install Crown Molding the SketchUp Way, if you only want to install it in SketchUp.
    http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item...e-sketchup-way

Question: Why do you want to Miter the crown molding since it isn’t necessary in SketchUp?

Do you want to determine approximate cut angles?

I use Jamie’s method but usually find using circles to cross the plane more convenient.

I use the "follow me" tool

The best way I've found for difficult miters or any shape and complexity of room is to use the follow me tool.
    Make a profile of the molding. (I've got a bunch of molding files I'll send you if you'd like) and place it where it goes at the ceiling / floor / etc. Choose the ceiling or floor / select bounding edges / select the molding profile / and follow me.
    If you need a cut profile of the inside or outside corner, erase what you don't want and fill in the cut plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dave martini; 12-01-2011 at 5:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dave martini View Post
    The best way I've found for difficult miters or any shape and complexity of room is to use the follow me tool.
    Yup. This is what I was going to suggest as well.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. The follow me tool is exactly what I needed. The Quick and Slick video is a good how to.