Thread: Record 53E Vise

Question Record 53E Vise

Hello to all! I have been lurking for about the last year, ever since I got the urge to use hand tools in my woodworking attemps. I am a complete novice, but with the help of everyone who has posted on the forum, I think I have gained much knowledge about hand tools in the past year. Thank you!!!

Now to my questions. I have an chance to get an almost new Record 53E vise for the workbench I plan to make in the coming months. But this thing is HUGH! Do I need a vise this big? I plan on making some bedroom furniture as my first major project. Everything up to now has been much smaller scale...a couple of shelves, a box for the firewood, a drawer divider. etc. Will the large vise be that much of a help as I work on the larger items? Will the large vise get in my way as I do other work at the bench that doesn't need a vise? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.

Bob

Bob,

Welcome to SMC!! - smart folks around here; unfortunatly for you, I'm not one of them.

With that said, I'll still offer this advice...

The record 53e vise is certainly a brute - workhorse that will last several lifetimes. It has been a "total classic" for many, many woodworkers over the years - You need a stout benchtop for this to attach too. If your getting it for next to nothing - I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get the vise. What's the price of this puppy???

Some guys don't like a metal vise, some do --its just kinda your preference.

Every workworker needs a good bench and a good, solid, strong vise -------not a little weak one.

I went ahead and got the vise. The guy selling it had another interested party, but since he offered it to me first, he gave me first refusal. I paid $32.50 for it. I don't think it has ever been mounted to a bench. I will post pictures as soon as I get it home and figure out the picture posting procedures.

I have some twenty year old red oak that I was planning on using for the bench top. It rough sawn to 2" x 4" and 10 to 12 feet in length. I think it will be stout enough if I decide to use this vise.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Waltemate
    I went ahead and got the vise. The guy selling it had another interested party, but since he offered it to me first, he gave me first refusal. I paid $32.50 for it. I don't think it has ever been mounted to a bench. I will post pictures as soon as I get it home and figure out the picture posting procedures.

I have some twenty year old red oak that I was planning on using for the bench top. It rough sawn to 2" x 4" and 10 to 12 feet in length. I think it will be stout enough if I decide to use this vise.

Bob
    That outta qualify as a "pretty good buy" Right place - right time!!!

Good job!

Welcome! If you decide it's more vice than you need, I'm sure you'll have folks here lining up to take it off your hands. Such a nice bunch! Hope you get years of use from it.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Bob,

Great great place to hang out. As a new member you receive your first official scolding for not posting pix of that great gloat.
    . We love to see new toyls, projects and creations.
    Glad to have you over here on the enlightened side of the Creek.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Bob -

Welcome to the Creek! Glad to have you aboard.

What a deal on that vise! A good, solid hold on a workpiece is one of the key ingredients in making it easier to produce the results you want. You don't have to try and hold the workpiece and the tool. Congratulations!

Welcome,
    Ted

As promised, here are a couple of pictures of my new vise. There is very little rust and no damage that I can find. Most of the rusty looking stuff is grease that has turned brown.

[img]file:///C:/Bob's%20Ebay%20pix/Record%2053E%20Vise/Vise%20Frontal%202.jpg[/img]

[img]file:///C:/Bob's%20Ebay%20pix/Record%2053E%20Vise/Vise%20Bottom.JPG[/img]

But my main question still ramains...Do I need a very large vise like this one, or would a smaller one meet my needs and be less cumbersome?

Bob

OK...What did I do wrong trying to post the pictures. How do I do an attachment? Help!!!

Go to the "manage attachments" button below reply text area,

It will say to "browse" --find the file on your computer---then hit UPLOAD.
    It will confirm the upload (unless too big)

Then send the reply...

OK ... I think I got the pictures posted.
    Last edited by Bob Waltemate; 03-08-2005 at 9:13 PM.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Great find and price Bob. Thanks for sharing
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Bob,
    I have this same vice mounted as a face vice on my bench. It is definitely a brute, but too big? Naaa.
    I never worry about really cranking down on somethiing if I need to. FYI, I used some thick maple to line the jaws.

Tom

Thanks for the reply. After more reading of the Scott Landis "The Workbench Book" and your experience, plus talking to some locals, I have come to the conclusion that bigger may be better in this case. This vise will go on my new bench later this year.

Bob

Bob,

Congrats, that's a great find and rates a good gloat. Record WW vises are no more and will normally fetch at least a c-note when you find a decent one.

As for size, you will find vises, like workbenches, bandsaws, and jointers, are never too big (did I leave anything out?).