Thread: Chinaberry Bowl

Chinaberry Bowl

Here is a chinaberry bowl from my Mike Smith wood stash. It is 9" X 3 1/2". It was finished with waterlox. I did a little embellishment on the outside which my wife likes a lot because she said you can pick the bowl up easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Man, someone's been on a roll here. Another very nice bowl Bernie. I keep waiting for a cherry one though.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

3. 'Nuther nice-n' Bernie..........I have never turned chinaberry.................what wood would you compare it to as far a working it with tools? Is it hard, like hard maple?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice work, Bernie! How did you like the Chinaberry to turn? Seems like you may have turned a piece before, but I can't recall. I kind of enjoyed turning the piece I got from Mike - though it did warp quite a bit.

Nice job Bernie. I don't know if I have ever seen a chinaberry tree. Had to google it to find out more info.

very nice, Bernie, i believe chinaberry is in the mahogney family, hope i spelled that somewhat close

Thanks for the kind comments. John I have turned it before. Mine was pretty dry.

Baxter I had a gentleman from Texas tells me it grows down there like a weed. I have turned a few blanks of it and like it. Finishes well.

Charlie it is kinda like mahogany.

Tony hang on the cherry is a drying. Anchorsealed them so will be about 3 or 4 more months. I cored it and got 3 bowls out of each side.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work Bernie! I really like the grain pattern in this!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks again Steve. The wife likes the beads on this one because with her hands she can pick it up.
    Bernie

Haven't seen this wood before Bernie. Real nice shape and grain. The beads look like they'd come in handy for carrying all those M&M's!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

yep, I can see why your wife likes it.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks again. Michelle she has arthritis in here hands so anything to make it easier to handle.
    Bernie