Thread: CrushGrind mechanisms questions

CrushGrind mechanisms questions

I went thru the old post regarding pepper mills and saw some great work. Inspired, I went to my local Woodcraft and found two types of the CrushGrind mills.
    1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type?
    2. Looking at the directions it gives standard dimensions, but in the text it says that it was designed for metric forstner bits. Since I don't have all of the standard size bits, should I just get the metric ones? I found this reference online http://www.crushgrind.com.au/instructions.php that gives the metric sizes.
    3. After talking to several people, they wanted the "upside down" type of mill- grinding mechanism facing up so that when one sets the mill on the table excess pepper does fall out. Any thoughts on how to do the upside down mill?

Thanks for your help.
    Jim

I've used the crushgrind (shaft type) before and I didn't need metric bit. CSUSA sells the required bits, you'll need 15/16, 1 1/16, 1 9/16, and 1 3/4. Most of these I've need found retail, but woodstock probably has them. I can't speak for the advantages or disavantages since I've only one of them. Try CSUSA for instructions http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ush_grind?Args

I've never heard of an upside down pepper mill, i guess the crushgrind would allow for that possibility.

Wes

The Beall Tool Company sells a book that shows how the upside down crush bride mill is made, as well as the other kind. The book is $7.95 and is probably worth it. I bought my first Crush Grind mechanism from Packard and did okay with their included instructions.