Thread: shop space minimum for hybrid woodworker

shop space minimum for hybrid woodworker

I am working with several areas in the basement and trying to come up with the best section to use; with me being a hybrid beginner woodworker?
    My plans are to have a 6" jointer, table top planer, 14" bandsaw, table saw, drill press, miter saw, router table, and a workbench that I will also use as an assembly table. I am planning to put everything on mobile bases(except the bench) but would prefer to not have to move things around. Thus, I am looking for what could be the minimum possible amount of space I would need to have a good workflow.

I plan on working on house projects: table, bookcases, night stands, beds, and doing trim work within the house.

The space I am looking at now is a room that is 12x18 with a double door and no windows. I played around the workshop planner and I can get all the tools to fit and there is white space, I am just not sure if there if the space is realistic to be able to move around without bumping.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

I work in a 17x20 space with all your tools, plus a few more, and it's tight. I'd recommend that you get a 54" table saw side table and let it double as your work bench and retrofit on a good worrd working vice at the end. You can build a router plate into the table to save more space, too. All things being equal, and give your space needs, I'd seriously consider ditching the miter saw, and replacing it with a nice moter sled for the table saw. Miter saws occupy an amazing amount of space once you put them on a stand. I'd also hold-off on the band saw. I have a big 17" model and it's mostly used for resawing work, which I feel is a rare need for the home shop.

Fitting the tools in and having space to work are completely different things. While 12 x 18 could work, you will be cramped when building projects that are larger than an end table. Also you will need some space for wood storage.

I work in a cramped space. I would place the tablesaw first. Put it with the right side table against a wall, with enough room on the infeed and outfeed to rip things between 6' and 8'. Placing the side table against a wall may limit the cross cut ability, but it has not hurt me that much. You can always break things down with a circular saw outside and use yr tsaw to finetune. Consider placing yr tablesaw maybe 4' in front of yr doubledoor so you can open the door if you need longer infeed capability.

I would make a workbench that doubles as an outfeed table for the tsaw. I also use my tablesaw as a secondary assembly surface since it's so nice and flat. Put a piece of hardboard on it to protect the surface.

I positioned my jointer so the outfeed feeds onto the right wing of my tablesaw extension table. I had to raise up the jointer a little. Very convenient and useful.

I also have my benchtop planer under the other wing of my tablesaw. That's unused space. Having the planer on the floor also makes it easy to make infeed and outfeed support (read, a couple 2x4 scraps ripped to the proper width) that can be moved out of the way easy when not in use. Also, this aligns the dust ports of the tsaw and planer so it's easy to move the hose.

Hang or make an ambient air cleaner and get a dust collector, too!