Thread: Waterlox Questions

Waterlox Questions

I recently turned a pretty large Box Elder vase and an article in Woodturning Design recommended Waterlox as the finish to produce a nice mirror finish. I have never used it before so I was wondering some things.

1. Will it better maintain the white of the wood or turn it more yellow like WOP tends to do?

2. The Waterlox website states that if using Waterlox as a wipe-on finish, use only the original sealer/finish which is not a high gloss finish. Can the high or semi gloss be thinned and used as a wipe-on?

3. Should I wipe it on or brush it on?

4. What should be done between coats?

5. It really seems expensive for such a short shelf life, but I want the best possible finish, but was wondering if there were any other comparable products that work as well?

6. Anything else I need to know or suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Waterlox is fairly amber in tone so its not a good choice for wood that you want to remain "white". I'd do a test to see if it looks like you want.
    Waterlox keeps well if you are careful to exclude oxygen from the container.

How about shellac?

Or Lacquer? Waterlox is MORE amber than poly, because it is a phenolic resin varnish which is darker and HARDER than urethane resin.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.