Thread: Makita 2012 Planer chip collection and blades

Makita 2012 Planer chip collection and blades

Hello all,
    I just picked up a Makita 2012 planer. It's the old style with the fixed cutter head and the adjustable table, not the newer 2012NB. I've got no manual, no blade setting jig, and no idea what to do about dust / chip collection.

Blades: are they "disposable" blades? My magic 8-ball says yes, but I'd like to confirm that answer... If they are disposable, can they be sharpened / honed, or is replacement the only option?

Blade setting: I've found a (Makita) magnetic jig for blade setting for only $8. The price is nice, but is it the best option? If there's a better choice for setting the blades on this planer, I'd love to hear about it.

Dust collection: I have no information. Zero, nada, zilch. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've looked at the 2012NB dust hood; is that part a possibility, or do I need to fabricate something from scratch?

This is my first planer, and I have almost no idea what I'm doing. It works well and is sharp enough for my current needs. Aside from a couple of exploded views/ parts lists, I'm working blind. If you've got one of these planers and can spare a few minutes to share info, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Jay M

I've had an old style 2012 for a long time. The blades are disposable.

I've used the magnetic jig that came with my planer without any problems; it just holds the knife and the hold-down bracket while you install them. I don't think anything else could work better.

The dust collection hood for the 2012B fits the 2012. The 2012B includes an extra metal piece that is not needed for the 2012. I have an extra one (I wanted to try to modify it to exhaust in the opposite direction, but decided I couldn't after I got it. You can have it for the cost of shipping if you want it, just PM me.)

I will look for my manual. I don't remember if it is short enough to scan and send to you. It appears to be available online, I just didn't want to complete one of the "offers" necessary to enable me to download it.

George

Thank you George!
    PM Inbound!