Thread: How long after waterlox?

How long after waterlox?

Well I've finally been able to get back to the table since the weather has cooled down. Am in the oiling process now. Have applied 2 coats of 50/50 BLO/MS and 3 coats of SF Waterlox + MS-75/25. For the table top I will apply 3-4 coats of SF/MS 75/25 every 24hrs. then follow with several coats of Satin Waterlox/MS 50/50. Anyone know about how long it normally takesTABLE APRON-12-11 054.jpgTABLE APRON-12-11 056.jpgTABLE APRON-12-11 058.jpg for the fumes to dissapate enough to be able to use ? I'm hopeing by Christmas

Thinning the Waterlox Sf is a waste of mineral spirits (MS). It is already a wiping varnish.

If you want to use the Satin Waterlox as a wipe-on varnish (mixing it 50/50 with MS makes it a wipe-on varnish) then every 3 to 4 wipe on coats equals one brushed on coat. So 10-12 wipe-on coats at the least for a table top. You may want to brush on the first 2 coats thengive it a few days to dry and lightly sand it flat then wipe on 4-6 coats for your final finish.

FYI Wiping a satin requires very consistant stirring of the vanish, very often. Remember that a wipe-on coat is to be applied as the kid wipes the table at the hamberger joint; a large table top should not take more than a couple of minutes.

Try to give it at least a week before light use.

You can wipe another coat as soon as the previous coat is dry to the touch. You don't need to wait 24 hors between wipe-on coats. Brush on coats you should wait 24 hours between coats.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 12-06-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Scott for the info. I believe I will follow your advice and do 2 brush on coats then wipe, that should save me some time.