Thread: How many coats of Waterlox on red oak handrail

How many coats of Waterlox on red oak handrail

I am finishing new red oak handrails using Waterlox Original. I sanded so that they were rather smooth and then started applying Waterlox. Nothing else has been done, just sanding and Waterlox. I currently have four coats and I am very pleased with how they look at present....

Red Oak is an open wood and there is a clear difference between the finish where there are many pores and where there are not. Is there any particular reason that I should keep adding coats until the Waterlox has formed a perfectly even / level layer? I am hoping that there is no particular reason and that I should simply let it cure a couple of days and then sand with a high grit (600 or 800).

Is there any particular reason I should, or should not apply a coat of wax?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Is there any particular reason I should, or should not apply a coat of wax?
    Based on comments by Scott Holmes, I assume that it will provide little value and will then introduce a yearly maintenance item.

4 brush on coats of Waterlox should be plenty for a railing. If you thinned it and used it as a wipe-on then a few more coats would be good. I would skip the wax.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Scott.... Wahoo, I am finished with that stage... Now I can just let them cure a bit, hit any rough spots with some high grit sandpaper, and then install them.