Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: strange oneida DC location pictures

strange oneida DC location pictures

hello fellow WW's

this is a follow up to a previous post that discussed where cyclone DC's can be located. Some asked if I could provide pictures of my installation. I have finally got a camera so I will try my hand at showing the details.

The outside shows the DC mounted at about 12' above the ground. The inlet and outlet pipes simply go right through the insulated walls and are sealed with spray foam. The rain cap is easy to make and keeps all the weather out of the unit. I use a low temp rated flex duct that stays flexable down to -20f.

The inside shots show the pipes and the silencer that is inline. I think that the duct is either 8 or 10 ". I placed the filter in a corner of the shop to try to maximize space.

Finally one ww requested some info on flex duct. I show a 24" (12hp) planer that really throws out some chips with about 4 feet of flex. I could have put a 90 at the top of the run, but this works pretty good. I have never had a problem

hope that this information is helpfull to those in the process of designing or redoing their shop

lou
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you very much for the pictures. They really show the different options of mounting the Cyclone.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Thank you very much for the pics, Lou. I now have another option as far as protecting the cyclone in an outside mount.

How long have you had it mounted like this? Just wondering as I figure your weather is probably a lot like ours here in the Frozen Tundra. I just want it to last as long as possible without weather being a factor. Maybe I don't need a full enclosure for my DC.

One other question. How long is the run from just inside the building to the filter?

TIA
    Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Great looking work space Lou. Thanks for sharing.

TJH
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    Thank you very much for the pics, Lou. I now have another option as far as protecting the cyclone in an outside mount.

How long have you had it mounted like this? Just wondering as I figure your weather is probably a lot like ours here in the Frozen Tundra. I just want it to last as long as possible without weather being a factor. Maybe I don't need a full enclosure for my DC.

One other question. How long is the run from just inside the building to the filter?

TIA
    Karl
    the collector has been outside for over 4 years. There is no sigh of rust or corrosion ( I do inspect it each summer ). The run from the inlet of the building to the filter is about 18 feet

lou

Lou, thanks for the photos. Have you made any attempt to measure air temperature drop vs. outside temperature? I'm curious about the need for insulating the cyclone. Do you have a feel for the kind of heat loss that is taking place? I want to put it outside for space considerations but I have taken all kinds of measures to be insulated and sealed to keep the winter cold out (and yes, even the heat in the summer).

Anyway, your system gives me some ideas. I like what you have done and your shop is super! How about a Shop Tour?
    Last edited by Steve Stube; 03-08-2005 at 2:54 PM.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Lou, thanks for the pictures. That looks like a great setup. Nice shop, too!

Can I assume you had the older galvanized cyclone design rather than the powder coated white version currently shipping from Oneida?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lou -

Thanks for the pictures and ideas. That will help with my arrangement.

Kind of reminds me of the old military adage - "If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, paint it."

Ted

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stube
    Lou, thanks for the photos. Have you made any attempt to measure air temperature drop vs. outside temperature? I'm curious about the need for insulating the cyclone. Do you have a feel for the kind of heat loss that is taking place? I want to put it outside for space considerations but I have taken all kinds of measures to be insulated and sealed to keep the winter cold out (and yes, even the heat in the summer).

Anyway, your system gives me some ideas. I like what you have done and your shop is super! How about a Shop Tour?
    hi steve.. I have not really noticed any heat loss from this setup. I would have to assume that there must be some, but the residence time outside is pretty short ( a second or so ). My shop is insulated and I keep it at 70 most of the winter during working time and @ 50 or so during nonworking hours. I use a hot air furnace to heat it ( 80000 btu).

to answer jim's question about the coating of the unit.... it is a galvanized unit that was painted with the same barn red paint that the rest of the shop is. The paint showes no sign of peeling after 4 years of pretty crappy NE weather.. last year it did actually get down to about 15 below zero.

Lou, Yes the residence time outside is short for any given volume of air but the heat transfer rate is driven by a constant delta T of 70 - the mean outside temperature for the time period it is in operation. Straight conduction (no radiation or convection) thru the entire surface exposed would give a handle on what to expect in BTU's lost.

I keep my shop at a constant 63 degrees 24/7 in the heat season and if I keep the doors closed most of the time in the summer it stays pretty comfortable. The high temp inside last summer was 72 degrees w/o any A/C. Thankfully that was a short time in the seventies (maybe a week), when I'm working 63 is comfortable for me.

You definitely have a unique shop and I for one would be interested in seeing more of it and some details of its features. Maybe a hint of what gets made in it and if it's a commercial venture or your play room (although I suspose it could/might well be both). Worthy of a separate thread, "Lou's Shop" or something like that.
    Last edited by Steve Stube; 03-08-2005 at 7:03 PM.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Lou, was wondering what size is your cyclone? I plan a similar installation,
    only I have another bay in my building which is unfinished for storage. It
    is open to the east, otherwise closed up. Also, do you get much noise
    transfer from the cyclone being attached to the outside wall? When I
    ordered mine, I was advised to mount it so it is independent from the
    wall, to minimize the noise transfer. And, do you often run the drum over,
    or do you run outside and check it every few minutes when you are running
    that planer? Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew
    Lou, was wondering what size is your cyclone? I plan a similar installation,
    only I have another bay in my building which is unfinished for storage. It
    is open to the east, otherwise closed up. Also, do you get much noise
    transfer from the cyclone being attached to the outside wall? When I
    ordered mine, I was advised to mount it so it is independent from the
    wall, to minimize the noise transfer. And, do you often run the drum over,
    or do you run outside and check it every few minutes when you are running
    that planer? Jim
    Hi jim

the cyclone is a 3 hp 3phase unit. My shop is a post and beam design which uses SIP's - insulated wall panels. This means that the building has an interior wooden skin, several inches of ridged foam insulation and an outer layer of wood siding. That type of construction seems to really dampen any vibration from the cyclone. IRT your question about checking if the drum is filled, if you look carefully at my pictures you will see that there is a clear hose connecting the drum to the cyclone and that there is a window right near by. I simply glance out once and a while to make sure that clear flex is not filled. I haven't had it be a problem yet. You do sort of get a feel when you are doing a lot of plaining of how long you can go before it is time to check the drum. I am actually planning on making a different type of chip collecton setup this summer. More along the lines of a 4'x4'x4' box with a side chute of some type to shovel out the chips.
    I realize that many folks here are not situated to be able to have the cyclone on the outside of the building, but for me I can't see any compelling reason for not having it located outside (IMHO)

Lou, wasn't knocking your system, looks great to me. Just that I don't
    have a window in that wall, and I can just imagine chips filling up my filter.
    Jim

Lou...

The cyclone installation looks great, but what I really love is the brick and wood interior of your shop.

I know drywall and white paint are practical and work well, but to me your shop has the kind of interior that would be extremely comfortable to work in.

Can we see more pics?

gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sutherland
    Lou...

The cyclone installation looks great, but what I really love is the brick and wood interior of your shop.

I know drywall and white paint are practical and work well, but to me your shop has the kind of interior that would be extremely comfortable to work in.

Can we see more pics?

gary
    hi gary

thanks for the kind complements. I will be starting to post pictures of my shop. My primary reason for posting pictures of the shop if so that other folks can get ideas. I have made some mistakes along the way and will be discussing them along with the posts. I will begin today with posting some of those pictures.

lou