Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MM16 or Laguna HD16

MM16 or Laguna HD16

I'm in a delima about which bandsaw to purchase! I've heard pro's and con's about each. There are designs and features about each of them that I like, but I'm having a hard time deciding. I would like some feedback from SMC members who have knowledge of either of these two fine pieces of equipment. Thank-you

The new version of the MM16, an already great product, ups the anti between these two. And despite the rhetoric that will likely flow about this feature and that feature, I still find MM to be a nicer company to do business with. The saw itself is just plain massive in structure...even more so now with the heavier spine to support the 16 resaw height. I have the MM16, two generations removed, and would not part with it.

Both machines you are considering are good tools...find out from users how they truely feel about the companies' support and service. Visit the dedicated Internet forums for each in that respect, too...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-08-2005 at 11:31 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thomas, I have the LT-16HD, albeit last years model. While I have not had the opportunity to use another BS, it would have to be much better for me to switch.

The new LT-16HD is even better than mine. More HP, more resaw.

My two cents.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Thomas,

I have seen the LT-16 in person more than once. I can tell you that it is one sweet saw! I have not been able to see a MM in person. I have seen the resaw results of the LT-16 and I can tell you I was quite impressed!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

for me

I compared the two models at the des moines woodworking show and determined that the MM16 was better for me.

Lacking on the MM16, maybe??, was no baldor motor, however it was a very nice Italian motor, not taiwan.

I like the MM16's construction and sturdiness better. I like the tires on the MM16 better. I could change my own tire on the MM16, and the tires seemed to be cheaper.

The customer service from Laguna's Larry Marley was great but the staff at both shows that I saw them at was terrible.

All cust. service from MM was great. My needs we simply met better by the MM16, but it may be different for you.
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Thomas -

Though you will be well served by either, put my vote in the MiniMax column. I have the last version of the MM16 (not the current w/ 4.6HP). It is well constructed and sturdy. I was able to pick one up at the end of last year on sale when they were getting ready for the new models.

When it came, I did all the usual new tools stuff. Clean, wax, adjust, etc. Made a few test cuts. Very pleased with the result. The other day, I actually used it for the first time. Man what a great machine. Smooth, quiet, exceptionally stable. Very happy with the MM16.

During shipping the heavy table hit one of the lower blade guide adjustment knurled screws and dinged the threads up. I was able to clean it up with a riffler file, but it was still a little hard to turn. They sent me a whole new lower blade guide assembly to make the repair.

Call and ask for Sam Blasco (a member here). He will hook you up.

Regards,
    Ted

I have a mm16 so naturally I think its a better saw than the Laguna. Both have been updated so the comparisons I made three years ago may no longer hold true, but the mm16 was more powerful and better (sturdier) built than the Laguna. On the other hand, I think we (me especially) overanalyze these tools purchases, either way you're getting a heck of a saw.
    Dennis

Thank-you for the affimations! Some of the things I like about the Laguna 16HD are
    1. easy tilt table mechanism
    2. bronze plated acme thread on upper wheel tensioning mechanism
    3. rack-n-pinion guide post
    4. two position fence (also cast iron available)
    5. heavy bristle wheel brush
    6. powder coated finish (very nice)
    7. glued on tire with small crown (good for smaller blades)
    8. "AMERICAN MADE" Baldor motor (60Hz vs. 50Hz European)

Mini Max 16
    1.Guide post is locked into place with a gib
    2. Heavier steel backbone...more cast iron

Don't forget about the superior guide system on the Laguna. The engineering doesn't lie. The guide system on the Laguna is exceptional. But the European guide systems are still head and shoulders above the Jet, delta, etc. systems. Either saw and you'll be pleased. Just my $.02
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Rudolph
    Thank-you for the affimations! Some of the things I like about the Laguna 16HD are
    1. easy tilt table mechanism
    2. bronze plated acme thread on upper wheel tensioning mechanism
    3. rack-n-pinion guide post
    4. two position fence (also cast iron available)
    5. heavy bristle wheel brush
    6. powder coated finish (very nice)
    7. glued on tire with small crown (good for smaller blades)
    8. "AMERICAN MADE" Baldor motor (60Hz vs. 50Hz European)

Mini Max 16
    1.Guide post is locked into place with a gib
    2. Heavier steel backbone...more cast iron
    First off, welcome to the creek, Thomas. I am also an MM16 owner of 1 1/2 years.

Let us look at your "features on the Laguna
    1. Easy tilt table, don't know, I set my MM16 to level and 90 deg. to the blade, and haven't changed it.
    2. Bronze plated Acme thread. IMO, not a feature. Bronze is not as hard as steel. You need a screw mechanism that will resist wear, the harder the better.
    3. Rack & Pinion blade guide. I just checked my MM16, and it has what I regard as a rack & pinion adjustment.
    4. Two position fence. Guess I don't understand that. My MM16 has a cast iron fence that can be set to compensate for blade drift.
    5. Stiffer wheel brush. I don't know, but assuming you have a good dust collector, that is NBD.
    6. Powder coated frame. I can't say with unqualified certainty, but my MM16 paint job surely looks good, and hasn't been a problem for me.
    7. Glued on tires. Not a good feature, IMO. The MM16 has tires that run a groove off set toward the front of the wheel.
    8. American made motor. Yes, a feature. OTOH, I haven't heard or anyone having problems with the Italian motors. Who ever told you that the MM16 had 50 Hz motor did not know what they were talking about.

Ask yourself why at the WW shows Mini Max as a BS with the name plate covered as comparison to their product. At least at the Dallas show, it was a Laguna I was told.

Regarding customer service, Mini Max is outstanding. In the 1.5 years I have had my MM16, I have gotten at least 3 "out of the blue" calls from Mini Max to inquire as to how I liked the saw, and if there was anything I needed. No, it was not a sales pitch, just a call to make sure I was happy with the MM16.

Yes, I am prejudice. I am sure that you will be happy with either BS, and I will not hold it against you if you buy a Laguna

Once again, welcome to the Creek. Do visit us often, it is a fine group of people, if you disregard grouches like me.
    Best Regards, Ken

Gentlemen!...A decision has been made! After recieving in-depth pictures from Mini Max on the "guts" of the MM16. The upper wheel tensioning assembly as well as the cast iron guide post assembly, compared to the Laguna 16HD. The MM16 wins out...delivery will be in about 3 weeks. Again...thanks for all your input. Glad to be a new member of SMC!!

MM, there is no other

Tom,
    Welcome to the Creek. There simply is no comparison between the ACM (Laguna, Felder, Bridgewood, Hammer) saw, Agazzani, Meber and the MiniMax (Centauro). I just do not care what marketing hype they tell you. The MM IS built STIFFER (thicker steel), HEAVIER, MORE RIGID GUIDE POST (1.25" vs 3/4"), a very high quality ITALIAN motor, all this and more make the MM the clear winner. Those are some of the facts. MM as a company has the BEST customer service I have ever experienced, my opinion based upon real world experience. If you are willing and have them means to do it, there is not a better bandsaw than the MiniMax.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo
    Don't forget about the superior guide system on the Laguna. The engineering doesn't lie. The guide system on the Laguna is exceptional. But the European guide systems are still head and shoulders above the Jet, delta, etc. systems. Either saw and you'll be pleased. Just my $.02
    If you really, really, have to have Laguna's blade rubbing guide system on a saw you can purchase it for other makes. Question what do you use to sharpen a blade? Ceramic. Why do I want ceramic rubbing on my bandsaw blade? Case hardening. IMNHO the Laguna guides are a solution looking for a problem. Well set up euro or Carter guides work very well.

MM 16 owner here.

One thing I would change: a better tilt mechanism for the table, and one thing I will change: will be installing Carter guides later this summer.

Two things I wouldn't change: Customer service and the support of the MMUG.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Thomas -

Congratulations. You will be very pleased. Have someone there to help you uncrate it and get it off the pallet. Oh - and that same someone can takes some pictures.

Ted