Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My weekend with David Marks

I have a question about your project Jim. I thought the marquetry piece was really neat. Have you been doing alot of marquetry? Don't tell us you went there a beginner!

Also,
    Does he even have a CMS in his shop? I've often wondered why he cuts everything on the crosscut sled, even the narrow stock. Is it to save setup time for another camera shot?

I was in David's shop last summer with Jim Barrett. He didn't have the MM36 running at the time, but what a machine. He will be using it to cut large bowl material.

Jim Hinze's comment about David's personality and he and his wife Victoria's hospitality is right on.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Ford
    I have a question about your project Jim. I thought the marquetry piece was really neat. Have you been doing alot of marquetry? Don't tell us you went there a beginner!
    Darrenn thanks for the complement but sorry, this was my first time doing marquetry, in fact my first time on the scroll saw... other than basic shapes. I have only been wood working for about 2 years or so....

Does he even have a CMS in his shop? I've often wondered why he cuts everything on the crosscut sled, even the narrow stock. Is it to save setup time for another camera shot?
    Yes he does have a CMS, delta 12". He does use it (I did to to lop of a 12" piece of rough stock. From what I do gather, he uses the cross cut sled mostly...

I saw your second picture and said to myself "wow, David uses that tiny little jointer... gee whiz, he's just like me!" When I got to the fifth picture, I said "oh, I guess not like me..."

Thumbs up BBS (big band saw)

Boy that band saw is a monster! Did you notice the blade? Looks like a 1/2". Seems like it would tend to deflect over a span that large. Hum.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hinze
    Darrenn thanks for the complement but sorry, this was my first time doing marquetry, in fact my first time on the scroll saw... other than basic shapes. I have only been wood working for about 2 years or so....
    Really, really nice. I know I say that alot, but I mean it no less. Can't wait to see some of the work you turn out.

Hey, was David about to goose you under the arm while you were holding that sphere ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunn
    Do I denote an ink blot on his right arm? That make him more down to earth to me than the state of his shop.

Jim
    If you notice on the TV show he always wears long sleeved shirts. Producers' requirement, tats may turn some people off.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Summers
    If you notice on the TV show he always wears long sleeved shirts. Producers' requirement, tats may turn some people off.

George
    How funny, I made the exact same observation.

I remember when DJM's show first started airing, most thought he was too "dry". Could've just been nerves with TV and all. He has since lightened up a bit more, it really showed when he did his shop tour episode. I think that picture (with Jim) tells me more about his "real" personality than any of the shows have. Good to see.