Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/16" Forstner Bit - Source?

5/16" Forstner Bit - Source?

For the past number of years, I have been using Famag and Colt forstner bits. You get what you pay for.

However - I would love to get my hands on a good quality 5/16" bit, and neither of them make that size - if they did, I'd buy one. maybe two.

There's plenty of $4 - $5 bits available from the usual suspects, but I'd almost rather muddle through with my brad points, versus getting a low-quality forstner I'd be disappointed with [and - I have been disappointed with an odd-size bit from one of them].

Anyone got a suggestion?

Thanks
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Hi Kent,

My best forstner bits are from freud. I dont know that they make a 5/16" though. I see they have them and 1/4" and 3/8".

PHM

Lee Valley has the 16th sizes in decent bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Hi Kent,

My best forstner bits are from freud. I dont know that they make a 5/16" though. I see they have them and 1/4" and 3/8".

PHM
    Yep... I Had Freud before the Famag before the Colt. They're good. No 5/16", though - already tried that route.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent,

I'm not sure what you are looking to spend although it seems you are willing to pay substantially more than $4-$5. Here are 2 links hopefully one will work for you.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/244-5160/
    http://www.woodline.com/p-2298-516-c...stner-bit.aspx

Best of luck,
    Kevin

I have a Famag 5/16 Forstner bit in my hand right now. In fact, I have Famag Forstner bits in 16th from 5/16 to 15/16. I don't remember where I purchased them, and it was a couple of years ago so maybe they don't make the 5/16 any more. Very good bits.

[Also, I bought a set of 16th Forstner bits from Lee Valley. They were not good bits. But they were the made in China bits.]

Mike

Famag-01.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-06-2011 at 1:40 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Lee Valley has the 16th sizes in decent bits.
    +1 on the Lee Valley HSS forsteners. I like 'em. they have a 5/16" bit for $7.10.

Blog Entries
    Link to FAMAG source for 5/16" only $14.45 - http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/614-5151/
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Link to FAMAG source for 5/16" only $14.45 - http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...info/614-5151/
    I went back and checked - that's where I got my 16th Famag Forstner bits.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hot-diggety-dog!!!

Thanks, Glenn & Mike.

2 are incoming - 2d less than half-p[rice, given shipping. I keep a box that is labelled "primary" and another box that are "secondary".......age & quality are the differentials......need new slots in both boxes now.

Regards

Kent

Another good resource is W. L. Fuller. They have Forstner bits in sixteenths and metrics. http://www.wlfuller.com/index.html Go to the catalog tab and look at the pdf catalog page 74. Looks like they still don't sell direct but you can order from lots of places.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have a Famag 5/16 Forstner bit in my hand right now.
    I would think that would make it hard to type --- but maybe you can type well with just one hand

Theyhave them here at MLCS in a set but I don't see them in the individual bit area . http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...es/forset1.htm

Thanks to all.........the famag bits are inbound.

To each his own, of course, but if you've always used the $5 - $7 forstner bits, you oughta try a famag or a colt. But - be prepared for the results.......

Certain items are the equivalent of crossing the Rubicon: famag/colt forstners; auriou rasps; LN/LV planes; LN/Blue Spruce chisels; BMW w/std trans; super-Tuscan red wines..................

Quote Originally Posted by Dan West02 View Post
    I would think that would make it hard to type --- but maybe you can type well with just one hand
    You mean it's possible to use two hands to type????

But changing the subject, I've always wondered why some company didn't offer a set of 16th Forstner bits, maybe from 5/16 to 15/16, and put them in a case of some sort. The problem with buying them as individual bits is where to store them. I know we're all woodworkers and can make a box, but it'd be nice to get one made and save the time.

When I bought my 16th Forstner bits, I was able to buy a box from Lee Valley (thanks, Rob). So I have my regular Freud Forstner (in 8ths) in one box and the Famag 16ths in a different box.

It looks like Lee Valley dumped the cheaper Forstner bits they were carrying and are now carrying a better quality. Maybe they could offer such a set.

Mike

[And I agree with Kent. The difference between a good quality Forstner, such as the Famag, and a cheap Forstner is like night and day. The cheap bit doesn't cut well and get very hot. The good bit just slices through the wood. I've tried sharpening the cheap bits and they still don't cut well.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-10-2011 at 9:31 AM.