I purchased a used Grizzly 5912Z shaper earlier this year. About a month ago I decided to tear it down and rebuild everything. I completely disassembled it - every nut, bolt, washer, etc. I replaced the bearings (this particular model has two), rebuilt the motor, new drive belt, used polished stainless steel screws for the exterior covers/electrical panel, upgraded all the hardware to Grade 8, and replaced any missing parts through Grizzly. I own a few other Grizzly machines and I am just not that fond of the green paint. Besides, the original paint was chipped in some areas and needed to be repainted anyway. Instead of paint, I had the cabinet and metal parts media blasted and powder coated. I cheated a little going back with Delta machine gray.

FYI, if you happen to live in the Kansas City area or close by, Liquid & Powdercoat Finishes (speak to Ken; their web site is www.lpfkc.com) did the blast work and powder coating. They are great to work with and their work is flawless. They specialize in high end automotive work, but will work with customers on just about anything within reason.

About the only thing left to do is the fence boards. I was looking for extruded aluminum but have decided to go with a laminate covered baltic ply.

It sits on a Shop Fox universal heavy duty mobile base. It moves around easy enough.

It starts and runs fine. You can stand a dime on end while it is running. Now, just need to buy some cutters and see what happens.

Some before and after shots.

Old01.jpg
Refurb04.jpgRefurb03.jpgRefurb02.jpgrefurb01.jpgOld03.jpgOld02.jpg