Thread: Dewalt DW733 - Cutter Blades not turning

Dewalt DW733 - Cutter Blades not turning

Hi all,

Newbie here. I borrowed a DW733 and a board jammed up while planing. I thought it may have been diue to too many chips. It was a wide board. Now the cutter head does not appear to be turning.

Any ideas? Is there a belt that may have broken?

Thanks,

There is a small $5 gear that broke. common on most Dewalts of that design. Not difficult to change but you do have to partially dissassemble it. Buy a spare gear as well. I got rid of all my Dewalt stuff. They ALL had one defect or another. The only thing good about Dewalt tools is the color.

I had a similar thing happen with mine. I put a lot of board feet through the planer before it happened so did not feel too bad. You may also look at replacing some bushings in there when you have it apart. I took the time to replace bushings and gears so that it was good as new when I got it back together. I have had no more problems with it.

I might be a little slower to call the problem a defect and then get rid of all of my DeWalt tools. Certainly, jamming a board in it could cause the gear to break. I have had very good luck with my DeWalt tools and like the color.

A board can fit the planer at one end and be too thick at the other and blow out the sprocket on this machine as it is forced through. I did it once too. Maybe we should all form a club?