Thread: New Incra Rails & Router table installed!

New Incra Rails & Router table installed!

A couple of weeks ago I bought the Incra LSTS package at the WW show in Chantilly. I also bought the router table extension with dust hood. I already had a router lift from a year ago. I replaced my Jet rails and fence, and I must say I love this system! I freind of mine may buy my old router table, and I will probably sell the Jet rails and fence. Here are two pictures, sorry they're not that good, but the light in the basement leave a lot to be desired! I hope to build a shop down there this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Doug. I'd really appreciate a critical post when you get a little time in with that system. I've always admired that one, and the SawTrain from Jointech, and have been looking for a really good review on either or both of them. It looks great.

Looks like a very cool set up!

Corey

I assume that you are just reversing your Incra TS unit to utilize the router table? Nice set-up.
    Pete in Louisiana

Wow! That looks like a great set up! I looked very closely at that same set up at the MKE WW show. Congrats!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Semi-review and answers

I assembled the unit over the course of two days. The rails attached easily and the attaching configuration adapts to most saws. The depth of the table is the only limiting factor. The hardware includes multiple hardware packages (nuts bolts washers, etc.) that are clearly labeled. The instructions are well illustrated and clear.

Peter: the fence must be reversed to switch from saw to router table. In addition, the router fence is attached to the fron of the fence for use with the router.

All parts were well machined and accurate. I did have some difficulties:

1. The leg set up for the extension had no angle brackets and one extra cross bracket. thankfully I bought the unit on saturday, so with my 4 year old in tow we went back on Sunday and Incra exchanged the parts.

2. When attaching the auxilliary support for the router fence, to accommodate tall work-peices, the bolts were too long and kept hitting the bottom of the T-track. A call to Incra revealed that I had already used the 5/8 bolts where I should have used 1/2" bolts. A quick switch and all was right with the world. BTW, after my call Incra sent me extra bolts. The individual, Perry, I spoke with actually writes the manuals.

3. Despite including 4 manuals in the package, I did not receive the one I needed. Because there are so many combinations of elements and ways to install the Incra products there needs to be numerous manuals, but it got a little confusing.

4. I could have used a little more guidance relative to the order of assembling the router table extension. But, I worked it out without too much difficulty.

As to how the system works...So far so good. I made my first half-blind dovetails in scrap and they came out great. I have made some box joints too. I will be trying some through-dovetails soon. The micro-adjust is wonderful. I have not hooked up the dust collection yet, so I will report on that in the future.

I intend to sell my old router table, my rails and fence, and my unused Woodcraft box-jointing jig. That should help offset the cost of the system a little. I already have an Incra 3000 miter gauge, Drill press table and pro-lift. I am very satisfied with their products.

Wooohoooo. Looks like a great system!!!!!!!
    I have a friend that has one, and He really likes it.

I bought the same/similar setup a few weeks ago and have had similar experiences:

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Robinson
    I assembled the unit over the course of two days. The rails attached easily and the attaching configuration adapts to most saws. The depth of the table is the only limiting factor. The hardware includes multiple hardware packages (nuts bolts washers, etc.) that are clearly labeled. The instructions are well illustrated and clear.
    Couldn't agree more. Teh way the hardware was packaged couldn't have made it easier. I was VERY impressed with this aspect of the organization of the package. I too took a couple of days to get it all set up; partly because I hadn't received everything all at once.

Peter: the fence must be reversed to switch from saw to router table. In addition, the router fence is attached to the fron of the fence for use with the router.
    1. The leg set up for the extension had no angle brackets and one extra cross bracket. thankfully I bought the unit on saturday, so with my 4 year old in tow we went back on Sunday and Incra exchanged the parts.
    On my order, I had two extension tables; the right-side router, plus an extra 21" table (I went with the longer rails (TSLS 52)) They omitted one complete hardware set for one of the two tables. The second set was overnighted to me.

3. Despite including 4 manuals in the package, I did not receive the one I needed. Because there are so many combinations of elements and ways to install the Incra products there needs to be numerous manuals, but it got a little confusing.

4. I could have used a little more guidance relative to the order of assembling the router table extension. But, I worked it out without too much difficulty.[/
    Despite the fantastic organization of the hardware, I too found the multiple and overlapping manuals to be somewhat confusing at first. Once I started spreading all the parts around, it became a little more clear and I eventually muttled my way through installation

I intend to sell my old router table, my rails and fence, and my unused Woodcraft box-jointing jig. That should help offset the cost of the system a little. I already have an Incra 3000 miter gauge, Drill press table and pro-lift. I am very satisfied with their products.
    I've decided to keep my old rails and fence. I installed mine on a C'man contractor's saw, which I figure I may end up selling and upgrading one day - at which time, I would want to retain the Incra setup.

I've begun using the setup over the past week or so, and have found it be just what I expected in terms of accuracy - it's dead on. The stock fence can't even compete with the Incra.

I have been having a bit-o-trouble with adjustability - I'm not sure, but I'm starting to think that my rails are not perfectly strait I need to revisit my setup - it could be a problem with the mobile base situation. I'll post pics of my setup ASAP.

Thats a beauty! I have the TS-3a as well (older one).

Do me a favor and complain to woodpeckers about offering some kind of plastic/rubber bumper to slip into each end of the rail. My wife and I have managed to graze our lower backs against that sharp edge and not two weeks ago, my 3-year old daughter bumped her head.

We need more voices to get them off their butts and make something!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

As promised, pictures of my setup:
    Attached Images Attached Images