Thread: Light- colored grain in ebonized red oak

Light- colored grain in ebonized red oak

Trying to work out how to finish some red oak for a bow case. The initial idea of just spraying lacquer had to be discarded when some parts had to be remade and now don't match. And I decided I want ebony.

Mixed up some vinegar and steel wool ebonizing solution and liked the effect save for the light colored grain which won't change colour even if I use a stiff brush to get the stain in deeply.

Tried using Kiwi black shoe polish and liked the effect --- until I sprayed Valspar gloss lacquer --- looks like plastic w/ the finish sitting on top.

I like the appearance of the lacquer on the ebonized wood save for the light grain pores. Is there something else I should try? Or accept them? Or should I try spraying the lacquer again on a second test piece?

A rephrasing: Simplest ebony stain for red oak under lacquer?

After waiting for the lacquer to cure fully (it was a thick coat applied hurriedly) the plastic look has gone away and the finished piece looks quite nice to me (modulo the fingerprints), so I've got a finishing technique to use, to wit:

- rub down wood w/ water to raise grain
    - sand w/ 220 grit
    - rub down wood w/ tea to infuse w/ extra tannic acid
    - rub down wood w/ apple cider vinegar / rust solution using steel wool
    - wipe down w/ baking soda solution to neutralize acid
    - wipe down w/ water to remove baking soda
    - rub down w/ Kiwi black shoe polish
    - spray w/ _light_ coats of lacquer