Thread: Granddaughter's Rocking Horse

Granddaughter's Rocking Horse

Here is the Rocking Horse I just finished for my Granddaughter. The Body is 8/4 Mahogany (the Tail is 4/4), the Mane & Tail trim is Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry), the Saddle is Butternut, the Handles are Quilted Maple, the Eyes are Holly & Curupay & Brazilian Ebony, the Bridle & Saddle Strap inlays are Kentucky Coffee, the Rockers are Hard Maple with Mahogany plugs.

These pictures show the horse as prepped for shipping to Denver. I've used 2x4 material to brace the legs.

I will add pictures after Christmas showing completely assembled horse with Granddaughter.

Rocking Horse - 001.jpgRocking Horse - 002.jpgRocking Horse - 003.jpgRocking Horse - 004.jpgRocking Horse - 005.jpgRocking Horse - 006.jpgRocking Horse - 007.jpgRocking Horse - 008.jpg
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Stew Hagerty

Very nice, Stew. That's one to be handed down through the generations.

Priceless! Your granddaughter will be thrilled!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Stew,Looks great! What type of yarn did you use for the mane? I'm building the same one for my granddaughter and can't find the macrame yarn recommended locally.

It looks like colored nylon rope he un weaved .....

I'm thinking you are going to have one happy granddaughter at christmas time.
    Real nice work Stew.

Nice. I really like the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by truitt sosebee View Post
    Stew,Looks great! What type of yarn did you use for the mane? I'm building the same one for my granddaughter and can't find the macrame yarn recommended locally.
    I couldn't find it locally either. I ended up buying it online. http://www.macramesuperstore.com/mac...d---50-yd.aspx

I bought 3 different colors and alternated them. In the Body, I drilled one cross hole & two connecting holes about every 3/4 to an inch. I chose to drill two connecting holes because the Body is 2" thick, and I thought two holes would spread the mane out more tha a single hole. In the tail I only drilled one centered connecting hole.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Easterling View Post
    Nice. I really like the saddle.
    Thanks, I really gave my Rasp & File techniques a workout

Stew Hagerty

The finish is my own variation on something I read about once. (Note: all measurements are by volume) I melted 2 parts Bees Wax and 1 part Carnuba Wax. I put the Wax in a Mason Jar and them put the jar in boiling water. Then, while still in the water, I slowly added 3 parts Boiled Linseed Oil. Once that was in and everything was uniformly mixed, I slowly added 3 parts Odorless Mineral Spirits (Note: I have a solid surface cooktop, don't attempt indoors over an open flame). When cooled it solidified, but instantly melts from the heat of your fingers or the friction of applying it. After it set back up, I buffed it with a "Waxing Brush"

Stew Hagerty

Thank you all for the nice comments.
    Here is the final result along with a couple after my granddaughter got it (we went to Denver for a few days to celebrate an "Early Christmas" with them).
    She named her "Sally" and rode her most of the rest of the time we were there.

Sally Horse 010.jpgSally Horse 001.jpgSally Horse 008.jpgRocking Horse - 016.jpgRocking Horse - 018.jpgRocking Horse - 020.jpg

Stew Hagerty