Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shelf pin jig

I made my own version of the MEG jig. First one I made using a Bridgeport mill with DRO, Then I discovered a simpler method of making jig. My jig allows for both 5 mm and 1/4 pins. I made both 32 mm OC and 1" OC jigs.

I've had a MEG for about 15 years. It makes very clean, precise, and accurate holes. It's also slow. I bought it primarily to use on thermofused Melamine, and I get tight, chip free holes with it.

I built the NYW version of the shelf pin jig that is similar in function to the aluminum MEG jig that Norm Abram used on the show. It uses a router as a cutter and for that reason, it makes very clean holes, something that I've never been able to duplicate with a drill of any kind.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built the NYW version of the MEG and its worked well for me too. My Dewalt plunge router even does a good jub of getting the debris from the holes. I use a solid carbide up cut spiral bit.

Just read about the Kreg jig (http://www.kregtool.com/Shelf-Pin-Jig-Prodview.html) but looking at it online it looks like you can only drill 6 holes at a time (5 if you're using the indexing pin). The others (Rockler, etc.) have twice as many holes. I'm about to start on some custom closet setups, so I'm thinking that the Kreg jig might be very time consuming to use.

Any feedback on the Kreg from folks who have used it?

1/4" melamine with stop on one end and on side. Stops are on both sides of the template so it is reversible.

The very best reason to make your own is to customize hole spacing. Mine are 2" on center, which is close enough for cabinets in my opinion, looks better and saves a little time.

I have two sizes--one for normal uppers, and one for tall closets/bookshelves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Wadland View Post
    Just read about the Kreg jig (http://www.kregtool.com/Shelf-Pin-Jig-Prodview.html) but looking at it online it looks like you can only drill 6 holes at a time (5 if you're using the indexing pin). The others (Rockler, etc.) have twice as many holes. I'm about to start on some custom closet setups, so I'm thinking that the Kreg jig might be very time consuming to use.

Any feedback on the Kreg from folks who have used it?
    I have not used the kreg, but your initial thoughts on the size is something I would agree with right away. Check out the meg, the router method is very fast, makes great clean holes and all the holes are exactly the same depth. As steve said, you can customize to what you want.

Why buy a jig when you can make your own, better one for nothing.

I have gotten great results with the rockler jig. It is small enough that I can put in the holse after the cabinet is assembled.

9. I have a Hoffman doweling machine that drills 2 holes on 32mm centers. It's cool for joinery too. I got it used with these notched rails that allow it to drill any length up to 8' on 32mm centers. Takes a bit of effort to make the plunge. I've used different jigs and come to the conclusion that the only thing that is real fast is a dedicated line boring machine. I don't do enough cabinet work with shelf pins to merit the expense of a boring machine though.

J+R drill jig. it's not very well advertised but it's the best one i've seen thus far. it allows you to drill BOTH lines of holes on panels 30" long and is adjustable for cabinets 12"-24" wide.

here's a link:

http://jandrdrilljig.com/

I have the rocker jig. As others mentioned it is slick, but I fixed that with some sandpaper and two-sided tape. I also agree the bit that comes with it is not so good. I haven't messed with it, but I hope I can just swap out the bit for a better one.

Ed
    I built my own version of the shelf pin jig that is similar to the jig that Norm Abram used, out of 1/4" plywood. I use my plunge router with a cut down 7/16" bushing and a round nose 3/16" high speed steel bit. It makes a very clean hole, something that I've could not duplicate with my drill press or electric hand drill. I cut almost 300 holes in a built-in book case set, in under 30 minutes, that about a hole every 6 seconds with this set up. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Ed, I use the Lee Valley jig; it's under $200 and fairly easy to set up. Still, as with other jigs, you have to bore one hole at a time, a tedious task on large jobs. I've been looking at one of the line boring machines like the General pictured below to improve shop productivity (around $1,500 to $1,700).
    I also have the Lee Valley jig, though a bit more expensive than other "one hole at a time" drilling jigs, the LV sets up very repeatably and accurately. I built a series of open shelves in our "sitting room" early last year, and used the LV jig. With three open units, 7' high, the holes were all spot on.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I built the NYW version of the shelf pin jig that is similar in function to the aluminum MEG jig that Norm Abram used on the show. It uses a router as a cutter and for that reason, it makes very clean holes, something that I've never been able to duplicate with a drill of any kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I built the NYW version of the MEG and its worked well for me too. My Dewalt plunge router even does a good jub of getting the debris from the holes. I use a solid carbide up cut spiral bit.
    Same here. Works great, but I only ever used it for one build.

I use the Rockler jig and I would estimate that I have drilled no less than about 500 holes with it. I have not had a single problem with the bit nor the jig. I used to use a jig I made and a plunge router and I like the Rockler jig allot better.

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner