View Poll Results: Do you think that Banning 'hands on' cell phones while driving is good

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

123 78.85%
  • No

33 21.15%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

here is something CNN news had and i sure hope it goes through cause there are way to many idiots that cant do two things at once!

The National Transportation Safety Board Tuesday called for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

The recommendation is the most far-reaching yet by the NTSB, which in the past 10 years has increasingly sought to limit the use of portable electronic devices.
    If adopted by states, the recommendation would outlaw nonemergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.
    It would not apply to hands-free devices, or to passengers.

Wonder if it will apply to Police that type on computers while driving.... Or use of radios similar to CB radios - such as those in emergency vehicles and as used by hams.

I agree that they should be banned but how to enforce. They are just the tip of the iceberg as far as distractive devices the a drive will deal with ie GPS, changing cd's or radio stations, cigarettes, etc

They are already banned here in New York, and it's a ticket just like seat belts, etc..

Police and emergency people can use them when on duty. So you see police driving around on them talking to friends all the time. Doesn't seem right since they aren't paying much attention either.

But the actons you note are momentary actions 2-5 seconds and you're done (well, except for the smoking). Whereas a phone call can last from tens of seconds to minutes or hours.

The difference I would note on phones versus CB-style radios, is how you hold them. You hold the mike in front of you and they don't have to be as close to your mouth to be heard. On the other hand, holding the phone up to your ear cuts off part of your vision to that side. Personally I hate driving holding a phone because of just that. I can't see out one side or the other.

Well, today I would vote yes. Yesterday I was behind a guy who was obviously textin while driving and he was all over three lanes and nearly sideswiped a car. This morning a guy making a left turn almost ran into me at a traffic light - he was talking on his phone, and another car almost rearended me - talking on the phone. Yep, today I vote yes!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

And what should we do for the guy texting (or atleast looing at the phone) while driving...an 18 wheeler. Almost got hit by that one on Sunday.

It's just another nanny law. Talking on a cellphone while driving is a skill. A good driver shouldn't have to think about what they are doing--it should be in the muscle memory and "second nature".

What's next, a law against talking to your passengers? Picking your nose? It's silly and needs to stop. We have hundreds of thousands of laws already, if not millions, and (I've heard) add something like 10,000+ nationwide each year. If you're distracted and cause an accident, it should be held against you and/or your insurance, no matter whether you're talking on a phone, reading the paper or putting on lipstick. If you're weaving all over the road, there are already laws against that (unsafe lane changes and the like).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    It's just another nanny law. Talking on a cellphone while driving is a skill. A good driver shouldn't have to think about what they are doing--it should be in the muscle memory and "second nature".
    Many people aren't coordinated enough to do this. They will be the reason for the ban!

I personally don't want the uncoordinated/ distracted driver using the cellphone missing the stop sign that he/she was supposed to stop at and crashes into my vehicle injuring or killing my loved ones!

Before everyone gets their knickers all in an uproar, this is NOT another draconian federal law about to take effect, it's a recommendation from the NTSB, and it doesn't have the force of law. Of course, it does have the force of logic and common sense behind it -- as borne out by the accident statistics -- but don't anyone let that get in the way of a good Nanny State rant. (NTSB=National Transportation SAFETY Board; this is what they're supposed to do, this is what they get paid to do, make recommendations on matters of SAFETY. Sheesh!)

People, if you want to talk or text on your cellphones while in your cars, please pull over, or even stay in your own driveways while you do it; just don't come on the roads with the rest of us and not pay complete attention to driving. Thank you. (Most of us think that we're highly-skilled multi-taskers, it's everyone else who isn't.

Right.)
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 12-13-2011 at 8:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Before everyone gets their knickers all in an uproar, this is NOT a federal law about to take effect, it's a recommendation from the NTSB, without the force of law. Of course, it does have the force of logic and common sense behind it, as borne out by the accident statistics, but don't anyone let that get in the way of a good Nanny State rant.
    Uh, the NTSB is calling for a nationwide ban. The states already have the power to regulate cell phone use while driving, and many have. This is the wonderful part about living in the United States. You have the freedom to move to whichever state you wish and to choose a state that has the kind of laws you prefer.

So I'm not sure what we're talking about if we're not talking about federal legislation, or at a minimum economic pressure, to enact such a ban since the states already have all the power they need to do so, and have been doing so (or NOT) as they see fit for some time now.

Now if you REALLY want to make a dent in accident statistics, ban alcohol and driving. That accounts for 40% of traffic fatalities. A lot more people use a cell phone than drive drunk, and far more drunk drivers cause accidents than cell phone users. I don't think people would take too kindly to being told that they can't drive for 8 hours after having any alcohol, but I'm sure there are many that would be just fine with that. Common sense would then dictate that states should adopt a zero tolerance alcohol policy as it would save far more lives than a cell phone ban.

:::shrug:::
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 12-13-2011 at 8:40 PM.

Driving is a privilege not a right. So not sure if any argument for cell use would have any traction.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

John,

Not to beat this issue to death, but this, from a news article in today's NY Times:

"A federal traffic safety agency is recommending that states prohibit all drivers from using cellphones, for talking or texting. The National Transportation Safety Board said on Tuesday that it had voted to recommend the ban... The agency said it is recommending that drivers be allowed to use their phones for emergency purposes. The N.T.S.B., [is] an independent federal agency that is responsible for promoting traffic safety and investigating accidents and their causes. It will be up to the states to decide whether they want to follow the agency’s recommendation." (Italics added by me.)

As for the comparison with alcohol, every state already does have a zero tolerance policy with regards to drinking and driving, so I'm not sure of your point. More relevant to this discussion, though, most who've studied cell phone use while driving, including the private enterprise, non-governmental Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, have concluded that it's very likely as risky as driving and drinking.

"An Insurance Institute for Highway Safety study that relied on driver phone records found a 4-fold increase in the risk of injury crashes associated with phoning. A study in Canada found a 4-fold increase in the risk of crashes involving property damage. The crash risk associated with texting hasn't been quantified as precisely, but it may be comparable, if not greater, than the risk associated with phoning."
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 12-13-2011 at 9:42 PM.

Just like the NTSB recommended passive restraints (automatic seatbelts/airbags), for example. It IS up to the states to decide, not because the NTSB allows it to be so, but simply because we haven't passed a national law yet. There are those of us that feel these decisions belong at the state level. I understand the article and the concept of a recommendation perfectly fine, and I also have a good memory and understanding of history, and specifically in this case for what historically happens with NTSB recommendations.

And this entire thread is about the concept of a national cell phone ban, not whether individual states should do it, which they're already free to do anyway.

Frank how can you come with a 4-fold increase in risk that is all done by polling data and any one knows that data can be polled to prove anything and just to address the zero tolerance to drinking and driving yes we have it but not enforced put Breathalyzer in all cars and they wont start if the person was drinking that is zero tolerance. Now you get stopped, and they give you a ticket if your under.08, and that is it get an attorney and no jail time or lose of license.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)