View Poll Results: Do you think that Banning 'hands on' cell phones while driving is good

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

123 78.85%
  • No

33 21.15%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

Bah. Beyond just being a bad idea for government in general to stick their nose into everything, I certainly don't see what business the federal government has telling people how they may behave in their own states. It's just really none of their business. If a state wants to do that, fine. I'll not be for it but at least it will be done at the right level.

I think maybe the time has come for a national ban!

My first thought. There seems to be some validity to the exception for police. The police are there to save lives and protect the public. The phone is a tool to make that happen. Joe citizen is using his phone to conduct business or personal tasks. That falls short of saving lives and protecting the public in my book!

For those smart people out there: How do you know the cop is just talking to a friend, running the red light to get to the next donut shop, speeding to get to lunch? I would hope that the police officer isn't abusing the usage of the phone, speeding ,or running the red light for non-police business.

The federal government may be onto something. Sometimes they have to tell people what is the right thing to do. Something on this caliber shouldn't be left to each individual state to regulate.

Most people don't respect the responsibility that comes with operating a motor vehicle! Many of those people end up killing themselves in their quest. I just don't want one of them killing me in the process. They cannot handle the responsibility so maybe the privilage should be taken away from them.

They have a "no cell phone use" while driving in the State of Washington, and yet you will see a lot of drivers talking on cell phones and driving there.

You first have to convince people that safety is more important than talking on the cellphone.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I gave up street bikes because of idiots on cell phones. Every time someone tried to kill me, they were on a phone.

Used to be you just had to look for blue hairs in Buicks

Ban GPS while you are at it. I just love that they build them into the dash with a nice big screen that you have to look away from the road to see. Brilliant!

Larry
    Atleast the windwhield ones are in the corner of your eye and when looking at it the road is in the background. I don't care for the in dash one at all.

And what should we do for the guy texting (or atleast looing at the phone) while driving...an 18 wheeler. Almost got hit by that one on Sunday.

It's just another nanny law. Talking on a cellphone while driving is a skill. A good driver shouldn't have to think about what they are doing--it should be in the muscle memory and "second nature".

What's next, a law against talking to your passengers? Picking your nose? It's silly and needs to stop. We have hundreds of thousands of laws already, if not millions, and (I've heard) add something like 10,000+ nationwide each year. If you're distracted and cause an accident, it should be held against you and/or your insurance, no matter whether you're talking on a phone, reading the paper or putting on lipstick. If you're weaving all over the road, there are already laws against that (unsafe lane changes and the like).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    It's just another nanny law. Talking on a cellphone while driving is a skill. A good driver shouldn't have to think about what they are doing--it should be in the muscle memory and "second nature".
    Many people aren't coordinated enough to do this. They will be the reason for the ban!

I personally don't want the uncoordinated/ distracted driver using the cellphone missing the stop sign that he/she was supposed to stop at and crashes into my vehicle injuring or killing my loved ones!

I do not agree. I have used hands free devices for over 10 years and would not use a phone any other way in a vehicle. If I could not use my phone while driving it would destroy my business. I drive 3 to 5 hours a day and I have to answer my calls or I do not get jobs. If I do not answer they go to the next guy and so on.

I do think if you are driving it needs to be with a hands free device and no texting. But that is common sense.

If they ban cell phone use they need to ban eating, applying makeup, holding your dog, listening to the radio, CD, MP3, Talking to any others in the car. No kids in the car because they are distraction, No CB, No drinking of any liquids, no smoking, etc. It can be get pretty ridiculous.

The government cannot prevent stupidity. But they will try. What a shame.

Alan

Before everyone gets their knickers all in an uproar, this is NOT another draconian federal law about to take effect, it's a recommendation from the NTSB, and it doesn't have the force of law. Of course, it does have the force of logic and common sense behind it -- as borne out by the accident statistics -- but don't anyone let that get in the way of a good Nanny State rant. (NTSB=National Transportation SAFETY Board; this is what they're supposed to do, this is what they get paid to do, make recommendations on matters of SAFETY. Sheesh!)

People, if you want to talk or text on your cellphones while in your cars, please pull over, or even stay in your own driveways while you do it; just don't come on the roads with the rest of us and not pay complete attention to driving. Thank you. (Most of us think that we're highly-skilled multi-taskers, it's everyone else who isn't.

Right.)
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 12-13-2011 at 8:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    Before everyone gets their knickers all in an uproar, this is NOT a federal law about to take effect, it's a recommendation from the NTSB, without the force of law. Of course, it does have the force of logic and common sense behind it, as borne out by the accident statistics, but don't anyone let that get in the way of a good Nanny State rant.
    Uh, the NTSB is calling for a nationwide ban. The states already have the power to regulate cell phone use while driving, and many have. This is the wonderful part about living in the United States. You have the freedom to move to whichever state you wish and to choose a state that has the kind of laws you prefer.

So I'm not sure what we're talking about if we're not talking about federal legislation, or at a minimum economic pressure, to enact such a ban since the states already have all the power they need to do so, and have been doing so (or NOT) as they see fit for some time now.

Now if you REALLY want to make a dent in accident statistics, ban alcohol and driving. That accounts for 40% of traffic fatalities. A lot more people use a cell phone than drive drunk, and far more drunk drivers cause accidents than cell phone users. I don't think people would take too kindly to being told that they can't drive for 8 hours after having any alcohol, but I'm sure there are many that would be just fine with that. Common sense would then dictate that states should adopt a zero tolerance alcohol policy as it would save far more lives than a cell phone ban.

:::shrug:::
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 12-13-2011 at 8:40 PM.

Driving is a privilege not a right. So not sure if any argument for cell use would have any traction.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

John,

Not to beat this issue to death, but this, from a news article in today's NY Times:

"A federal traffic safety agency is recommending that states prohibit all drivers from using cellphones, for talking or texting. The National Transportation Safety Board said on Tuesday that it had voted to recommend the ban... The agency said it is recommending that drivers be allowed to use their phones for emergency purposes. The N.T.S.B., [is] an independent federal agency that is responsible for promoting traffic safety and investigating accidents and their causes. It will be up to the states to decide whether they want to follow the agency’s recommendation." (Italics added by me.)

As for the comparison with alcohol, every state already does have a zero tolerance policy with regards to drinking and driving, so I'm not sure of your point. More relevant to this discussion, though, most who've studied cell phone use while driving, including the private enterprise, non-governmental Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, have concluded that it's very likely as risky as driving and drinking.

"An Insurance Institute for Highway Safety study that relied on driver phone records found a 4-fold increase in the risk of injury crashes associated with phoning. A study in Canada found a 4-fold increase in the risk of crashes involving property damage. The crash risk associated with texting hasn't been quantified as precisely, but it may be comparable, if not greater, than the risk associated with phoning."
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 12-13-2011 at 9:42 PM.

Just like the NTSB recommended passive restraints (automatic seatbelts/airbags), for example. It IS up to the states to decide, not because the NTSB allows it to be so, but simply because we haven't passed a national law yet. There are those of us that feel these decisions belong at the state level. I understand the article and the concept of a recommendation perfectly fine, and I also have a good memory and understanding of history, and specifically in this case for what historically happens with NTSB recommendations.

And this entire thread is about the concept of a national cell phone ban, not whether individual states should do it, which they're already free to do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    If they ban cell phone use they need to ban eating, applying makeup, holding your dog, listening to the radio, CD, MP3, Talking to any others in the car. No kids in the car because they are distraction, No CB, No drinking of any liquids, no smoking, etc. It can be get pretty ridiculous.
    The problem with cell phones is not necessarily that you're holding the phone - is that you're holding a conversation with someone not in the car. When you're talking with a passenger, he won't think it's odd if you pause for a minute while navigating a difficult intersection. But when you're talking on the phone, you make an unconscious effort to maintain "normal" conversation, even when you momentarily need 100% of your attention.

Numerous studies have shown that handsfree devices do not afford significantly more safety over handheld devices.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Just like the NTSB recommended passive restraints (automatic seatbelts/airbags), for example.
    That was the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a different agency, not the NTSB.
    "The NHTSA [part of the Dept. of Transportation] is charged with writing and enforcing safety, theft-resistance, etc... standards for motor vehicles."