View Poll Results: Do you think that Banning 'hands on' cell phones while driving is good

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

123 78.85%
  • No

33 21.15%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

Here is the American Motorcycle Assn. take on cell phone use.

http://www.motorcyclists-against-dum...to-action.html

I am not sure if it is this article but I am an AMA member and in the research that they sited it was found that hands free had little or no effect on how likely you were to cause an accident while driving.

As I said before I have given up [pretty much] riding on the street because of too many close calls with cell phone idiots.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Bryan - Your firework analogy leaves some factors off the table. In short, it is an over simplification. While you and Ray appear to be in agreement, I would argue that there is more at stake than just physical injury. Property damage would have to be a factor as well. Another factor, believe it or not, is that some folks are actually ambivalent or worse about fireworks. It would be one thing if everyone did their stuff on the 4th, but we are 'treated' to random explosions for weeks before and after the 4th. If I want to partake in fireworks, I'll go to a professionally staged display. Or if I feel the need to blow things up I'll go where it imposes the least on others.
    Who cares if people shoot them off every single day of the week. If they aren't infringing on anyone's Constitutional rights or damaging life or property its not really an issue. The irony of public displays on the 4th is that you are celebrating FREEDOM secured by people dying for us by going to a "government approved" fireworks display. That almost makes me want to cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Under your rule, over half the population would have to sustain an injury before fireworks could be banned. Interesting. How about just having a majority vote on the matter rather than having some arbitrary injury threshold. That seems to be a more sensible approach.
    Under my rule, free people would be free.

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities (and the smallest minority on earth is the individual)." -Ayn Rand

Bryan - Cry to your hearts content. I do not care for fireworks. A Rand acolyte? There's a surprise.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Your Rights, the Government, Democrats, Republicans, etc.
    I allowed this thread to exist because it was about a safety issue and now it has degraded into something else.
    Ladies and Gentlemen we don't discuss politics here.