View Poll Results: Do you think that Banning 'hands on' cell phones while driving is good

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

123 78.85%
  • No

33 21.15%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

Blog Entries
    i just seen this morning on GA they were talking that congress wants to ban all types of cell phones including hands free devices
    saying talking while driving can be just to distracting.

now i agree about getting rid of any hand type devices but im not so sure about hands free types.
    i wonder how Ford feels about this with there new Sync system or whatever its called?

*off topic*
    i wonder why i never get any emails from here when someone replies to my post?

Blog Entries
    Some of this may have to do with where you live and the quality of the drivers in the area.

I live in a suburb of Washington, DC. Any idea that might help these people drive better I'm for.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul McGaha View Post
    Some of this may have to do with where you live and the quality of the drivers in the area.

I live in a suburb of Washington, DC. Any idea that might help these people drive better I'm for.

PHM
    I lived in the Hilton Head Island area for a while and had to go on to the island every day. Talk about distracted drivers! Lots of retired folks being told by their wives (typically) where to go and when to turn - cross four lanes of traffic to make a last minute left turn. This was pre GPS, so now I guess they have a passenger and a GPS telling them when to turn. Also a lot of family vacationers with three or four kids hanging out of the SUV windows. Oh, and those SC resident drivers are notorious for driving slow in the left lane.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    One word: Amtrak.
    I agree, but thanks to GM, Big oil(don't remember which) and one of the big tire
    companies, that's not going to really happen.
    But then it would probably end up like the airline industry. We sure don't seem to know
    how to run big competative businesses in this country.

Someone mentioned Canada bans cell phone use while driving. Not true. They ban hand-held cell phones. Only one province bans cell phone use all together while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Edwards(2) View Post
    I agree, but thanks to GM, Big oil(don't remember which) and one of the big tire
    companies, that's not going to really happen.
    But then it would probably end up like the airline industry. We sure don't seem to know
    how to run big competative businesses in this country.
    I was thinking more to the safety aspect. Then there's their inability to get somewhere on-time.

Blog Entries
    Is it illegal drive while blindfolded? Or does that fall under some sort of a general unsafe driving law? Just wondering.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I was thinking more to the safety aspect.
    I'm not sure how the buses here are for people in them, but they're pretty hard on pedestrians around town.

Here in NY, as stated above, cell use and texting are banned while driving. At least in my area of upstate NY it doesn't seem to be enforced on a regular basis. This past Sunday a friend of mine got rear ended by a speeding drunk texting idiot as she was turning into her driveway. Totaled her car, wrecked her knee, out of school and work. He got 3 tickets, which with the right lawyer will cost him a bit of money, but he will be back on the road in no time.
    And the soapbox goes to...

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    You have no chance of this being enforced upon police. Police can speed/run signs/lights without using sirens or lights (which i abhore that they can do so). So enforcing this restriction upon them will never happen.
    The law enforcement that I know personally (local and federal) pretty much do what they want (reasonable speeding, whatever that means) and then use the badge to not get a ticket. One of them complained to me that his son had no respect for the law and would speed a lot.... and I was thinking "duh, he watches you". Last time I saw the son, he was driving so far under the speed limit it was a bit funny to remember his past behavior.... and I was thinking "really, you drive race cars now".

If there is a total ban, on cell phone use in cars I will reinstall the electronic gear I used to have in my cars. After I run the power through the firewall, I might as well go all the way. CB, Ham (2-meter mostly), and Scanners. Never had much use for HF in a car, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Loucks View Post
    speeding drunk texting
    Well, there you go, we need a ban on speeding drunk texting too.

I was thinking more to the safety aspect. Then there's their inability to get somewhere on-time.
    Billy Goat Gruff

Kind of tough to be on time when the people who own the track you use, would just
    as soon you failed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Loucks View Post
    got rear ended by a speeding drunk texting idiot as she was turning into her driveway. .
    Whew, took me a while to figure out that the speeding drunk wasn't the one turning into her driveway. I thought, "why would his friend get 3 tickets for getting rear ended?".
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 12-14-2011 at 4:48 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'll add a comment about GPS. I use GPS a lot and find that I drive a lot safer with it than without it. The main reason is that the GPS gives me lots of warning about an upcoming turn. Before GPS I'd be trying to read the street names on those corner posts, and many were so small that you couldn't read the name until you got right on top of the sign. Then, if I missed a turn, I'd be trying to figure out how to get back. Talk about distracted. With GPS, I get several notices of an upcoming turn, both speech and on the screen, and it tells me exactly how far it is to my turn. And if I miss a turn, the GSP just recalculates and takes me another route. And when I reach my destination, it tells me on what side of the street the office (or store, or whatever) is so I can get into the correct lane to turn into the parking lot.

No, in my opinion, GPS improves driving safety instead of diminishing it.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-14-2011 at 2:51 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Stealing is illegal. Is there another law that bans taking something without paying for it? A distraction is a distraction.