View Poll Results: Do you think that Banning 'hands on' cell phones while driving is good

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

123 78.85%
  • No

33 21.15%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

What is so important that you have to be in constant contact while driving. If it is an emergency they should be calling 911 not you. If it is you boss he is extrememy inconsiderate to assume he is so important that you MUST answer him immediately. Don't give me the doctor crap; You can not perform brain surgery over the phone so don't talk on it while driving. You are putting me in danger.

I don't really understand the "Constant" contact thing either.

I think my phone has rang once in public.

And to show how foolish I think it is, if I was standing next to you
    and my cell rang, this is what you'd hear:

http://www.billsid.com/snds/billring.mp3

3. Most places distracted driving is already against the rules. The problem with a ban is. The people that are already breaking the rules that would be trying to text with the phone in their hand up in the "10&2" position on the steering wheel and glancing partially away (much like checking the rear view mirror), will now be texting with the phone in their lap, completely losing sight of the road and with no peripheral warnings of anything. I would have to look up the actual statistics but going the length of a football field only takes a couple of seconds when going just over 30mph. Distracted driving is very dangerous. I just don't know if another knee jerk reaction law is the solution. At some level if there was a way to prove it one should be at fault no matter what if you are a distracted driver. It’s kind of like on the Autobahn over in Germany, Yes you can drive as fast as you want in certain areas but after you go over a certain speed (over 120kph), you are going to be liable for the accident even if it wasn't "your fault".

I sit in a high position when I'm on the way home from work. I can see down into cars, and I see cars in three different scenarios - on the freeway, on a road that is not limited access, but going 3/4ths of freeway speed, and at stoplights.

Nearly all of the texting I see is on the last two. When people are talking on the phone on the freeway (I have not seen people texting out there, in heavy traffic at least. If I've seen it any other time, i don't remember it), they tend to drive a little slower while they're talking. That's an inconvenience, but with traffic all heading in the same direction, it's not really a safety problem.

I'd guess that while you can find texting and cell phone responsible for a lot of accidents, you will find that the severity of the accidents they've involved in is less than other causes (speeding and drunk driving, etc) because a lot of the texting is done by people either at lights or when they're driving somewhere that doesn't seem to them to demand full attention.

I do not next or talk on the phone while I'm driving. I don't do it because I don't like to do it, I think it's irritating as a driver to have to try to pay attention to more than one thing at a time. I don't think that just because I feel that it's irritating that it should be banned for everyone else. We're going way overboard prosecuting/persecuting people who could possibly cause harm as opposed to people who have caused harm.

I wonder how many deaths are caused by people fidgeting with their radio, why not make those illegal, too? When someone gets killed while texting, it practically becomes a national news story. When someone dies fidgeting with their radio, it probably doesn't get out of the township.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Now if you REALLY want to make a dent in accident statistics, ban alcohol and driving. That accounts for 40% of traffic fatalities. A lot more people use a cell phone than drive drunk, and far more drunk drivers cause accidents than cell phone users. I don't think people would take too kindly to being told that they can't drive for 8 hours after having any alcohol, but I'm sure there are many that would be just fine with that. Common sense would then dictate that states should adopt a zero tolerance alcohol policy as it would save far more lives than a cell phone ban.
    Zero tolerance might then mean I have to wait eight hours after communion to drive.... Time to buy a horse :-)

I remember when they lowered the legal level here in Ohio. As soon as it passed they said something like "this will have no effect.... but we sent a message". Near as I can figure, I can get a ticket even if I am not legally drunk as long as I am impaired (according to those cops in my family).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Well, there you go, we need a ban on speeding drunk texting too.
    I am on the fence.... Should we ban, or encourage, "drunk speed texting"

My truck has a blue tooth hands free device for my phone. After using this for a little over a year now, I cant stand trying to hold my phone and talk while driving. The hands free devices make it very easy to drive and talk on a phone, no different than talking to a passenger. Dialing, answering and talking, are all done with a push of a button on the steering wheel, and voice commands. The more of these that auto mfgs. implement into new cars the better IMO.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

As much as I hate people yacking on the phone I don't think the Feds have the authority to impose something like this. I know they think they are gods and all, but it is my understanding that if it isn't in the Constitution, they can't do it. I'm pretty much against the Feds telling anyone what they can and can't do. We defeated a lot of Brits who behaved like that.

An excellent texting and driving video.
    http://www.mountainwings.com/past/10363.htm

This one is even better.
    http://ut.zerofatalities.com/texting.php
    Pay special attention to the message at the 13:33 mark! That pretty much sums up this entire debate.

And since I am on the subject, the experts say that using a cellphone for talking or texting is similar to driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. The following video is the most moving ad I have ever seen. Watching this will make you think! *(warning: it is graphic)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8
    Last edited by David Larsen; 12-14-2011 at 8:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Trout View Post
    I do not agree. I have used hands free devices for over 10 years and would not use a phone any other way in a vehicle. If I could not use my phone while driving it would destroy my business. I drive 3 to 5 hours a day and I have to answer my calls or I do not get jobs. If I do not answer they go to the next guy and so on.

I do think if you are driving it needs to be with a hands free device and no texting. But that is common sense.

If they ban cell phone use they need to ban eating, applying makeup, holding your dog, listening to the radio, CD, MP3, Talking to any others in the car. No kids in the car because they are distraction, No CB, No drinking of any liquids, no smoking, etc. It can be get pretty ridiculous.

The government cannot prevent stupidity. But they will try. What a shame.

Alan
    I think Alan is correct oneverything he said, if you know what common sense is and know how to use it, what to do and what not to do while driving and in every other aspect of life. Like a buddy of mine always says: " You can fix ugly, with enough money and time, but you can't fix stupid!" Even the ugly part is a tough fix sometimes, but if there is character and pride in your heart everyone can be a "10".

We already have the 10's 0f thousands of laws, regulations, and rules that are on the books, many of them are outdated and have no bearing on where we are today, but if you go to many cities, states and the federal government you will find the some the most unbelievable laws. Just like the tax code, when will it stop???????? only when we realize that we are better at taking care of ourselves than any government entity will ever do. So make the fine for inattentive driving stiff enough to deter the next knucklehead from doing it, say like if you cause an accident because you were talking on a handset, eating a burger, watching a movie(have seen it many times) make up, reading a book(also a scary thing I have witnessed!), and others you pay a $5000.00 fine and loss of driving privilages for a year other than for work, may get the point across. Maybe the national debt could be worked off that way!

So to end this, if we all respect ourselves and do what we would want others to do in their lives that effect us and themselves we all will get and give the same respect needed to maintain a sane nation and world.

Common sense is key, it is just that simple,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I drive a truck for a living, local delivery, usually in or around town and in traffic. What amazes me is that people have to be told that driving while distracted is dangerous and that they shouldn't do it. I think everyone that does much driving has experienced multiple (usually many times every day) situations where someone on their phone talking or texting has either almost caused an accident or at least a major traffic disruption. So why would you think that you're immune from that. The fact is that driving and talking is dangerous because you usually don't even realize you're causing a problem. Sure there are times when you can probably get away without causing an accident. But isn't it a little selfish to think that your call or text is more important than everyone else that's driving along with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Nicol View Post
    So to end this, if we all respect ourselves and do what we would want others to do in their lives that effect us and themselves we all will get and give the same respect needed to maintain a sane nation and world.

Common sense is key, it is just that simple,

Jeff

Ahh, and there's the rub. We have raised a society of selfish, self serving, self absorbed individuals who do not understand the concept of self respect and "do unto others". If we had people who understand that what they do in their lives effects others we wouldn't have OWS or occupy the ports. Common sense? Seemingly a thing of the past.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Having been on the receiving end of a driver that was 'distracted', I can say that it is not fun. My vehicle was totaled and my passengers neck/back have never been the same since. But there is an inherent risk we all accept when we drive on public roads.

Banning a device that is by its very nature is an obvious and serious distraction seems a reasonable and logical action. I fail to see how increasing the general public safety is a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    If you want to protect everyone from cars, ban cars. Make everyone ride a bus, put the bus on rails so it's more safe, ban people from talking while the bus is moving.

Ban everything that is remotely unsafe. That's the end. The line of thinking that you can just define a narrow line of thinking and action to make everyone perfectly safe from everyone else is overreaching and bordering on a disorder.
    I don't 'want' to protect everyone from everything. Not sure how or why you would infer that was my meaning, but whatever. It's the Internet.

Sure eating and fiddling with the radio are serious distractions and I believe cause more accidents than cell phones. But at the time I heard that report texting wasn't as ubiquitous as it is now. And I would be surprised if the trend was going to be declining any time soon.

But the notion that all distractions (eating, radios, passenger conversations...) should be banned or none at all seems a bit odd.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    It's just another nanny law. Talking on a cellphone while driving is a skill. A good driver shouldn't have to think about what they are doing--it should be in the muscle memory and "second nature".
    There is literally no evidence to support this, and mounds of research that shows the exact opposite:
    People think they are significantly better at multitasking than they are, and in fact, we just split our time and think we aren't.
    In this particular case, MRI's show that focusing on conversation and the road both use the same part of the brain, and it is literally not possible to perform both to the same effective as both alone.

Seems like an MRI while driving would be a big distraction.