Thread: Rockwell old iron 20" bandsaw

Question Rockwell old iron 20" bandsaw

Greetings,
    I have the opportunity to purchase a Rockwell 28-3X0 20" bandsaw in excellent condition for $1200. It includes a mobile base and new wood slicer blade. Is this a good price? Does anyone have the specifications on this saw?
    Take care,
    Rik
    Last edited by Rik Rickerson; 03-09-2005 at 1:17 AM.
    -Rik

Try this link:
    http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail....&#Publications
    I posted a manual for an older, about 1980 or so, 20" Delta BS a while ago when I had one for sale. I sold it, but posted the manual. Just heard that the tires were bsad, and the buyer is calling Iturra Design. Louis would be a good phone call for a quality review as he is knowledgable about many BS's. I charged $1000 for the saw, which had low miles, and both the buyer and I thought it was a fair price. I based it on sales on ebay, which at the time were at about $1000 - $1300, from what I saw.
    Alan
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Rik,

I can't help with the bandsaw but noticed you were from Portage. I have a few friends in Portage, one own's O'brion Printing. Anyway, nice to see someone from Wisconsin.

Good luck on the bandsaw! If the source is a tool dealer I would be interesting in knowing the name, as I am currently looking for a bandsaw as well.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Probably not a bad price for a machine in running condition. I saw an older 20" rockwell go for over 600 on ebay a while back and that one needed alot of tlc. If this saw is in good shape, has a 1 phase motor at least 2hp and runs and cuts well, its worth the price. Not a bargain though, at least not in initial dollars spent.

5. Rick,

Look at this post from yesterday. This is a new Grizzly 20" band saw for $1195. It sounds like they are going fast though.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17705

Rockwell old iron 20" bandsaw

Thank you for all your input. I went ahead and purchased the saw. The previous owner was a doctor who barely used it.
    Take care,
    Rik
    -Rik

Rik,

Sorry I missed your post earlier ...

I have a 1957 20" Rockwell bandsaw, I believe made by Crescent. It weighs in at about 600 pounds. When I bought it, I upgraded the blade guides to Carter roller guides. My current resaw capacity is about 12 1/2". With a fairly small modification, I could boost that another inch or 2.

I really need to go through the saw and tune it up, making sure that the wheels are coplanar and all that. I seriously doubt they are right now.

It used to be that you could call Delta at (800)-223-7278 and they would send you a copy of old owners manuals. That's how I got a copy for mine. Have the model and serial numbers whenyou call and they can also tell you when the saw was built. They may be charging for that now that B&D has bought them. I've read things on the forums recently about Delta not having parts that they used to.

I'd say that $1200 for that saw, with a mobile base, is a reasonable price. In retrospect, I overpaid for my saw (significantly more than you paid). Call that the exuberance of youth - I was an ignorant youngster when I bought the saw. Now I'm an ignorant, middle-aged coming-up-on-old-fartster, but that's another story. My saw has done what I've asked it to, but to be honest, I've cut up more firewood with it than anything else.

Take the time to tune up the saw when you get it. Once done, you should be able to just leave it. I'd also consider beefing up the dust collection. That one little 2 1/2 port helps, but definitely doesn't give you a way to get all of the dust out of the saw. Consider adding a second port down at the base of the wheel, perhaps even adding a wheel brush.

Good luck with your new/old saw.

Rob

Where are the PIX? No Pix, No gloat...

Thanks for the additional information. I will post pictures once I have finished tuning up and upgrading some components - carter guides, new tension spring from Iturra Design, new fence system, & poly tires. I've also ordered a lenox carbide blade since this saw will be use primarily for resawing.
    Take care,
    Rik
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-13-2005 at 9:07 AM.
    -Rik

Rik,
    I don't think my friend has dealt with his flat tires yet. Did you get yours from Iturra? What did Louis say abut the BS? Good comments? The spring is a good idea. What size did you get, and I will mention to my friend to order one of those as well.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Alan,
    Yes, I ordered the tires from Iturra. Louis said it was one of delta's better models. The spring size was based off of the measurements of my existing one.
    Take care,
    Rik
    -Rik