Thread: What goes with Spalted Maple

What goes with Spalted Maple

I'm planning a new project to do over Christmas break (desk clock for my mom) and was wonder what type of wood goes well with Spalted Maple. Of coarse pictures are welcome if you have any to show the combination of woods. Thanks, Michael.

I think you could do cherry or perhaps some straight grained walnut. Either would look nice with spalted maple. Or how about wenge or padauk?

Michael,
    I recently completed some decorative boxes and used spalted maple on the tops on them. The wood combinations were:
    rosewood veneer-goncalco alves- spalted maple
    qtr sawn sycamore-honduran mahogany-lacewood-spalted maple
    ebonized qtr sawn white oak - ebony lift-spalted maple
    I realize several of these are exotics, but the contrast with the spalted maple is IMHO is very nice. The ebonizing is possible with a few domestics also.
    The thread below shows the boxes among other items.

Jim

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...mpt&highlight=

My personal favorite is walnut.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

Walnut (or something of a similar shade)!

+1 on Walnut,
    Here's what I did for a few family members a couple years ago on Christmas.
    Good luck!
    NWB

mason frames 031.jpgmason frames 032.jpg
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

I'm a fan of maple and mahogany personally. Not quite as harsh as the contrast to walnut.
    Not allowed

Spalted maple, jatoba (brazilian cherry) and a dark trim of cocobolo.

_DS09829S.jpg

Disclaimer: This design was 'inspired by' (read stolen from) fellow creeker John Keeton (I always get a laugh from the phrase 'inspired by'). His original makes this look like Junior High School shop project. I keep a stack of my business cards in the bowl for people to take when they come visit. If I ever get someone so delusional to actually want this one or one like it, all proceeds will go directly to Keeton, unless of course the interest comes from Neiman Marcus, in which case Keeton's going to need to sue.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California