Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Experts - Bits: Christmas present advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Router Experts - Bits: Christmas present advice

OK...so, some of you might recall my 3-year continuing efforts to "help" a friend set up a basic-level shop in his garage.

I get help from his lovely wife, in that I get to create and prioritize her list of stuff for his Christmas presents. Which means, of course, stuff I want to be there the next time I visit, so I can "help" with the next project and have stuff there that I want to use, without dragging my stuff along on the airplane, and without using my entire vocabulary of cusswords.

She assures me that this year Santa is getting him a PC 690 with std and plunge bases, and edge guide, to replace his worn-out 1/4"-only-collet Craftsman. It did him good for a few decades, but it is shot to heck, I refuse to use it anymore, and his collection of bits are are of the same age, unless I bought them with his money in the past few years. One of which is a CMT rabbet set - and I just bought him a new bit to go with the bearing set. Plywood glue chews up those bits like a starving goat in a field of Georgia kudzu.

The predominant format for him is plywood bookcases, shelves, etc. He has no stationary tools - including no router table - so those projects are right in his wheelhouse. Some with hardwood trim, which he can get from a nice store that has the capability to machine it to "his" specs.

I am no router expert, and I have built up my bit collection pretty much one-at-a-time-as-I-need-it. I am thinking that there is likely a more structured approach, and for my contribution this year, I was thinking I would ask Santa to bring him something along the following lines:

1/4", 3/8", 1/2" down-spiral bits for dados to receive shelves.
    A slot-cutter set, with 1/8", 1/4", 3/16" blades and a range of bearings [like the one from Amana that I have built by piece ]
    Roundover bits 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" [he has a 5/16" from one of "his" previous projects].

Whatcha think? This is a low-tech-learn-as-you-go operation, not some stile-and-rail cabinet door thing.

Thanks for letting me use your thoughts..........

Singed:
    Santa-du-jour
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I would start with bits from this set, it really is a well thought out starter set, which overlaps several of the ones you mention.

http://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Ten-.../dp/B0012JI4UQ
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van - that is a good set. Something I shoulda had. Very nice. I buy that brand frequently.

Stuff in there he won't need anytime soon, but you did put me onto some things that are important that Santa needs to consider - like a chamfer and a top-bearing flush trim.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

When I think about the bits I use the most these are them, all 1/2 shafts.

1/4" round-over
    1/2" round-over
    1/2" shear bit with a bearing on top and bottom, can be used for a lot of things.
    1/4" spiral for box joints
    1/2" straight bit for dados and the like.

Since you mentioned a slot cutter set, I'll recommend the Amana Timberline slot cuter set. About $75, good quality, and versatile. It actually comes with 3 1/4" cutters (among other widths and bearings) and two arbors, so you can actually set up a simple tongue and groove rail/stile pair with it.

One of my most used router bits is a 3/4" dia Whiteside double-bearing (top and bottom) flush trim.

A 3pc plywood dado set would save him a lot of trouble.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    If his shelves are sheet goods, then standard size bits for dados will have a loose fit. Either get a small bit and cut the dado with repeated passes (using the edge guide it looks like he is getting) or get the undersized bits for sheet goods dados.

James

Blog Entries
    Van beat me to it and that Whiteside set is a good base set. Thinking back over the last several months I would have been sorely inconvenienced if not for a:

- 3/8" spiral [small enough to cut most dados in multiple passes]
    - 1/8" roundover [many folks prefer larger]
    - chamfer [for everything from shop cabinets to drawer fronts]
    - Rabbet set [for . . . well . . . rabbets]

HTH
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You will never stop supplying your fiend (OOPS!). Just send me all you decide.
    Individual bits are the best buy. Congrats on your helping.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Not really for sheet goods but if his hardwood edges are thick enough he may could use a ogee bit or two. That 690 is a good workhorse of a router IMO. I have 4 of them. 1 in a table. 1 in the extention wig of my saw and 1 set up for the dovetail jig. The other 1 is used for handheld stuff. Think about telling Santa to get him the D handle base for it. Makes a good router even better

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    If his shelves are sheet goods, then standard size bits for dados will have a loose fit.
    Yeah - I hear what you're saying. However, since I am "helping", I go with my standard scheme - for 3/4" ply, I'll put in 3/8" or maybe 1/2" stopped dados, and then use a rabbet bit on both sides of the shelf to sneak up on the correct fit. I don't have a lot of confidence in the tolerances on plywood anymore. Also, with an actual tenon on the shelf, it's pretty easy to avoid any glue squeeze-out. More work, but I like the results. Probably not necessary, but there you are...........

Habits borne from working in my own shop - where I'm doing the work with solid wood.

Kent
    If your friend needs bits for dados you should consider plywood bits from Lee Valley. They are sized 1/64 " smaller to make up for undersized plywood.
    The bits are of good quality and I think the price is not bad. A lot of my bits are from LV and I have no complaints.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...168,46171&ap=1

gil

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I don't have the undersized bits myself, I do the multiple passes with a smaller bit technique. But I like Kent's idea of rabbeting the shelf for the final fit. Think I will change my approach.

James

Well - give it a try anyway. I like it because I can get the Goldilocks fit on the tenons - not too loose, not too tight. Downside is more router passes, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    . However, since I am "helping", I go with my standard scheme - for 3/4" ply, I'll put in 3/8" or maybe 1/2" stopped dados, and then use a rabbet bit on both sides of the shelf to sneak up on the correct fit.
    Be a REAL help, buy him a Sawstop ICS and a Forrest Dado King, what's $4,000 among friends...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van - that's where the Winchester PM66 was heading.........his money, not mine. I mean, he's been my best friend for over 35 years, but sheeesh..........