OK...so, some of you might recall my 3-year continuing efforts to "help" a friend set up a basic-level shop in his garage.

I get help from his lovely wife, in that I get to create and prioritize her list of stuff for his Christmas presents. Which means, of course, stuff I want to be there the next time I visit, so I can "help" with the next project and have stuff there that I want to use, without dragging my stuff along on the airplane, and without using my entire vocabulary of cusswords.

She assures me that this year Santa is getting him a PC 690 with std and plunge bases, and edge guide, to replace his worn-out 1/4"-only-collet Craftsman. It did him good for a few decades, but it is shot to heck, I refuse to use it anymore, and his collection of bits are are of the same age, unless I bought them with his money in the past few years. One of which is a CMT rabbet set - and I just bought him a new bit to go with the bearing set. Plywood glue chews up those bits like a starving goat in a field of Georgia kudzu.

The predominant format for him is plywood bookcases, shelves, etc. He has no stationary tools - including no router table - so those projects are right in his wheelhouse. Some with hardwood trim, which he can get from a nice store that has the capability to machine it to "his" specs.

I am no router expert, and I have built up my bit collection pretty much one-at-a-time-as-I-need-it. I am thinking that there is likely a more structured approach, and for my contribution this year, I was thinking I would ask Santa to bring him something along the following lines:

1/4", 3/8", 1/2" down-spiral bits for dados to receive shelves.
A slot-cutter set, with 1/8", 1/4", 3/16" blades and a range of bearings [like the one from Amana that I have built by piece ]
Roundover bits 1/8", 3/16", 1/4" [he has a 5/16" from one of "his" previous projects].

Whatcha think? This is a low-tech-learn-as-you-go operation, not some stile-and-rail cabinet door thing.

Thanks for letting me use your thoughts..........

Singed:
Santa-du-jour