Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router Experts - Bits: Christmas present advice

We sell Whiteside, Southeast, Tenryu, Popular and maybe a dozen other lines of tools.

Email or PM me and we will set you up with a discount. Whiteside is a great line. Southeast Tool was also rated excellent by Fine Woodworking and is generally less exepensive. I will also throw in a 1014 router bit. This is a little 2 flute straight bit which is far and away the most used bit.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

My list/process:

For straight bits, I buy spiral bits (or CNC end mills) off ebay). 1/2" carbide spiral resharpened well under $15 (yes they are a few thousands undersize, but this almost never matters!). I would buy two of these. One to abuse and hog with, one to keep really sharp for when I want the best finish. I use this 1/2" carbide spiral the most of anything (and just use a bearing guide when doing with fixtures - like the dado fixture talked about in other threads here.

Then the same for a 1/4" spiral carbide.

Next in line is a tossup - but by watching the clearance rack at Rockler (or other like the online stores) you can find the basics (many times <$5 each, some $10 but still a great deal)

Rabbet bit with different bearings
    45 chamfer bit
    1/4 roundover
    Pattern flush trim (I have one with a bearing on top, and another with a bearing on the bottom - but getting one bit that has a bearing on both ends as mentioned makes a lot of sense)

I think you could get all these for <$70. Obviously I take the long approach buying individual bits and shopping to save $$.

Insert bearing guide set (but might not be necessary if you dont make guides/jigs)

For the PC690 I very much prefer the D handle. I have several routers but this is still my favorite by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Walz View Post
    We sell Whiteside, Southeast, Tenryu, Popular and maybe a dozen other lines of tools.

Email or PM me and we will set you up with a discount. Whiteside is a great line. Southeast Tool was also rated excellent by Fine Woodworking and is generally less exepensive. I will also throw in a 1014 router bit. This is a little 2 flute straight bit which is far and away the most used bit.

Tom Walz
    Carbide Processors
    Are you going to do a holiday router bit set again this year? With a discount that would come to what....under $150,000 for sure, right?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Are you going to do a holiday router bit set again this year? With a discount that would come to what....under $150,000 for sure, right?

I wanted that set but I would have to build an add-on just to house it. Plus my desire to have a router for every bit really would run the cost up...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.