Thread: Horizontal Dust Collector Filter???

Horizontal Dust Collector Filter???

Has anyone any experience installing the filter on a Oneida (or other) cyclone outlet horizontal? I realize that there will be dust built up in the lower section of the filter pleats and not in the normal bottom pan, but it would sure eliminate a big object to work around in a small shop. I am sure considering a horizontal installation in the attic when I get my new shop unless someone can talk me out of it.

My old shop was tiny so I had to use a horizontal filter (upper right in photo). My blower and cyclone were located outside. The filter had to be removed for periodic cleaning, but other than that I had no problems.

I have a cyclone with a vertical canister filter. Far more dust is trapped in the pleats than drops to the bottom of the enclosure. I think you wouldn't notice difference with a horizontal filter.

Alan,

Thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words, and that is similar to installation I was considering. It looks like you have your cyclone in another room or outside, and I plan to install mine inside the shop, but may need to rethink that seeing yours.

Hi Thomas. Here's a link to pictures of a horizontal installation from the Clear Vue forum by a guy named Erik in Belgium (at the bottom of the page of photos) - only in this case in a cabinet giving outside to inside air flow: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...Max/Erik_Gent/ He's posted at length, and seems both on the ball and to have experienced no problems.

I'm not sure what the feeling here may be, but between his installation and Donaldson Filtration's preference for outside to inside airflow on their filters I went the same route with my recent Clear Vue installation - photos below. Only in my case the filters are vertical, with a dust drawer below. It's too early to say whether or not it's 100% OK, but so far so good. The theory is that it should result in easier filter cleaning.

I initially thought of placing the filter cabinet on an outside wall to save space, and still wonder at times if I shouldn't have done so. The visuals and the need for weatherproofing put me off the idea.

The one issue to be aware of if you do this is that it exhausts through an 8in duct (in my case anyway) which creates quite a lot air movement unless you fit something like a coarse filter bag to act as a diffuser. In inside to outside installations the filter itself acts as a diffuser...

ian

filter cabinet (open).jpgfilter cartridge mounting.jpgfinished filter cabinet.jpg
    Last edited by ian maybury; 12-16-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    Alan,

Thanks. A picture is worth a thousand words, and that is similar to installation I was considering. It looks like you have your cyclone in another room or outside, and I plan to install mine inside the shop, but may need to rethink that seeing yours.
    As you can see I had almost no room in that old shop, certainly none for a cyclone. The mitersaw box and ducting to and from the cyclone are located where there used to be a window. I removed both sashes built a box that extended passed the outside wall for the mitersaw and a blocked off the upper part were the ducting exiting the shop. You do what you need to with the space you have. To avoid reverse flue gases and dangerous CO fumes, I returned the air to the shop to the filter because there is a gas-fired furnace and hot water heater nearby.

I have had nothing but great advise and cost effective solutions from http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/

They have ready made solutions and, my favorite, plain fabric that you can sewn into a tube or attach to a length of plywood in any size or shape you have space for.

I have lots of crawl space that is continuous with my garage workshop and making a giant bag for the dust system as well as another bag for the ambient/room filter was quite simple. It is easy to make a very large tube that inflates nicely and is merely hung from the joists above it. A bit of a shake now and again is all the maintenance it requires. You can make a base of plywood 8' long and secure the sides of the fabric and it inflates right up. You can also shop vac the floor of this pup tent easily after a bit of a shake. For those with the space I am hard pressed to imagine a better solution.