Thread: Best 4' dust collector' hose

Best 4' dust collector' hose

Hi,
    I have to move my dust collector hose from machine to machine. My hose is 10' long I bought a clear one off ebay that was real flexible but started cracking after a couple years. I bought another 4'' hose and its too stiff .
    Any one know of a good move able, flexible hose?
    Thanks Keith

This is widely used by woodworking businesses over here (Ireland and UK), and seems to do well. http://www.ipl.it/eng/p_prod_detail...._id=7&app_id=9 It's an Italian made abrasion resistant hose in clear polyurethane with a hardened and copper plated steel reinforcing wire that's specifically sold for woodworking applications. The website suggests it's distributed in the US too.

I'm installing some at the moment, and while I can't confirm its life I can say that it's as tough as old boots.

In the more general sense (and if you can't get this specific one) I've a feeling that it's probably wiser and more cost effective to buy a designated woodworking dust and chip extraction hose like this from an established industrial distributor.

Polyurethane is highly flexible, has very good wear resistance and tends not to degrade much with time. There's PVC and other hose about masquerading as heaven knows what which won't have anything like the wear or life of a true PU. Who knows what's coming out of the East and being sold at big mark ups by the big woodworking chains, box stores and so on.

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 12-17-2011 at 9:06 AM.

Ian,
    Wow, That's some great info you sent. I'm always amazed of how much more there is to things than one might think.
    You folks across the lake seem to really do your home work. Thanks for your help.
    I will go industrial and with P. U.
    Cheers,
    keith s.

Another vote for polyurethane hoses.

I don't use any other type.

Lee Valley sell them, along with the correct rotation bridge type hose clamps..........Well worth the money.................Rod.

I'd not seen those nifty offset clamps to suit the hose spiral you mentioned at lee Valley before Rod - I've just spent the last week or so cursing, trying to get the stock type I bought from an HVAC ducting supply place to lie flat and wondering why somebody hadn't come up with just that. Not cheap, but worth it i'm sure....

ian

Wynn environmental has (I think) the best prices. And they have the good offset clamps.
    Nelson

I bought the Dust Right hose from Rockler specifically to have a very flexible hose to attach to mobile tools (planer especially). Works real well.

I've had it about 2 years now and I see no signs of cracking from age, etc. But, I'm a hobbyist woodworker in every sense of the term so it's not like I'm moving that hose day in and day out from machine to machine.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-19-2011 at 9:33 AM.

Get the urethane hose from Wynn Environmental if you want the good stuff.