Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yikes! My new air filter and my DC remotes control each other

Yikes! My new air filter and my DC remotes control each other

Well it turns out the remote that came with my Delta 50-875 controls the on/off and timer functions on my Grizzly dust collector and vise-versa. Far from convenient, turning one on may or may not do the other depending on the angle. And if one is on, turning the other on may turn the first off!

Anyone run into this? Any suggestions on "fixing" the problem?

One thought is to just wire the 50-875 to run on high whenever its plugged in and use another channel of the 3-channel RF remote system I'm using with my older 50-860 which I plan to keep.

Another thought was some kind of shade around the 875's sensor so it "see" the remote unless pointed at the right angle. I use a remote repeater intended for TV use to make it easier to operate the Grizzly since it gives me a target on each side of the shop. I don't want to lose that, but it means I can't shade the Grizzly.

I was considering wiring a relay into the 875 so that it would turn on the 860 and make use of the timer system but I'm thinking that won't work.

Can you open them up and change a code or something?

Get a $10 remote from walmart or Menards for the air filter.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The (generic use) system I have has a security code. You set the receiver to a teach mode by shorting a designated pair of terminals, and press the button on the zapper so that in future it recognises it. It's possible to set a receiver so that it accepts signals from more than one - when for example several people in a house use it to open a garage door.

Wonder if this is a possibility? If so the instruction sheet should list a procedure for erasing a specific zapper too...

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 11-27-2011 at 9:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mike Cruz ran into the same problem with his... send him a PM.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The cheapest answer is a new roll of aluminum foil.........the signals from Planet Zanu are getting through your worn-out tin foil hat.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Actually, I was kinda thinking about trying something like the roll from the center of the al foil--make a little shade for the sensor. And hope that the Grizzly doesn't pick it up. If that works, I'll more permanently attache a piece of PVC with the inside painted flat black so it doesn't pick up reflections.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Actually, I was kinda thinking about trying something like the roll from the center of the al foil--make a little shade for the sensor. And hope that the Grizzly doesn't pick it up. If that works, I'll more permanently attache a piece of PVC with the inside painted flat black so it doesn't pick up reflections.
    Pringles can around the remote!

At least that's what they use at Hooters to change 1 tv and not the others. DAMHIK, a friend told me!

Yeah, a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Pringles can around the remote!

At least that's what they use at Hooters to change 1 tv and not the others. DAMHIK, a friend told me!
    Your friend goes to Hooters to watch TV, eh?

Time to look for a new set of friends, is my advice. Everyone else goes for the wings.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

How about a call to the tech folks at Delta and Grizzly? I would think this can't be a totally unique situation.
    Howie.........

Just imagine what it is doing to your neighbors TV!

Sorry, I have no real suggestions......

Larry

Mine turns off my radio.

Yeah,mine Jet air cleaner will turn on/off Grizzly dust collector and vise-versa.I just installed air cleaner on opposite wall.Works good now and I can use one remote for two things.
    Jaromir

OK I got this hung last weekend and in practice it doesn't look like its going to be too much trouble. I think I need to attach a small shroud around the sensor on the air cleaner because if I operate the DC remote while standing at my miter saw it does trip the air cleaner, but that seems to be about it. And when I turn the air filter on/off it doesn't look like it will be problematic the other way. I'm thinking I'll just hot-glue a small piece of plastic pipe around the filter's sensor.